Grants of up to $10,000 to West Virginia nonprofit organizations, schools, public institutions, and municipalities in eligible locations to address community needs. Funding is intended for programs and projects related to economic development, arts, animal services, health and human services, education, basic needs, civic beautification, and public recreation. Applicants must serve Raleigh County.
BAF places priority on the following types of projects:
Projects that either serve a significant number of residents or reach a group of under-served residents of Raleigh County.
Projects that empower organizations to obtain ongoing financial support from other sources.
Matching grants to provide leverage for additional funding.
The Foundation considers grant requests from organizations which are:
- Designated as a non-profit under Section 501-c-3 of the Internal Revenue Code or is a public institution, school or municipality. An IRS determination letter verifies 501-c-3 status.
- Programs funded must benefit Raleigh County. While the proposed program itself must serve Raleigh County, the applicant organization is not required to be headquartered in Raleigh County.
Grants are not considered for:
- Projects outside the grant period of April 1, 2024 to March 31, 2025
- On-going maintenance & operating expenses
- Political purposes or lobbying
- Sectarian religious programs
- Staff salaries or wages
- Jerseys or uniforms
- Annual campaigns
- Travel expenses
- Food for events
Submission of an application, including all required documents and information, by the application deadline. Deadline is November 30th 11:59 p.m.
Applications will be accepted October 16th - November 30th, 2023.
No late applications will be accepted. Applications are only accepted through the electronic portal.
It is critical for the contact person to respond promptly to emails or phone calls from BAF staff requesting supplemental information to help clarify or expand an understanding of your application. It is vital that information for the contact person be correct. A clear and concise description is highly important for the Committee's knowledge regarding your organization and its appeal for assistance. Next, the Distribution Committee considers all proposals and makes recommendations to the BAF Board of Directors, who make the final approval on all award recommendations. Applicants will be notified in late March 2024 about decisions regarding each grant request.
Estimated Size of Grant
$10,000 is the new maximum award amount to an individual organization through the Community Grant Program.
Term of Contract
Project or program must occur within the defined grant period: April 1, 2024 — March 31, 2025.