Awards ranging from $100 to $1,000 to Maryland, Oregon, Virginia, Washington, and Washington DC K-8 schools, school districts, PTA's, PTO's, and school foundations for various types of activity challenges. The activities include bike riding, jogging, running and general activities.
One $250 Bike DC to NYC Award:
Schools are being asked to showcase their strength by tracking the estimated miles needed to bike DC to NYC. DC schools that track 224 miles with a minimum of 20 participants between May 1-31 will be entered into a drawing to win $250 for their school.
Marathon Kids Run/Jog Challenge Award:
The award will go to the school with the highest total minutes spent running or jogging. Schools with a minimum of 20 participants tracking running/jogging are eligible. The winning school will receive 10 Marathon Kids Running Club Memberships ($150 value).
One $100 Small School Award:
Schools with less than 100 students are not eligible for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier awards listed above and can compete in this small school category. This award will be given to the school with the most students, parents/guardians, and school staff tracking during the Challenge Period, divided by total school enrollment. Should a region not have any school meeting this criteria, this will be an additional runner up award.
One $250 Ready, Set, Go! Award:
Studies show that people who start off the week with physical activity are more likely to continue being active during the rest of the week. The same concept applies to the month-long Fire Up Your Feet Challenge! Rev up your school with an early boost to get on the leaderboard and in the running for the Ready, Set, Go! Award. Any school with 20 or more participants tracking at least one activity during week 2 (May 8- May 14) will be entered in a drawing for this award.
One $250 Jump In! Award:
Rally your school around tracking activity. Any school that has not begun tracking activity during this challenge is eligible to win! Get in the game by tracking a minimum of 20 participants during week 3 (May 15- May 21) and your school will be entered into a drawing for this award.
One $250 School Staff Engagement Award:
Any active school with 10 or more school staff (i.e., teachers or school district personnel) actively tracking as individual users will be entered into a drawing for this award.
One $250 Kaiser Permenente Staff Award:
Any school with a Kaiser Permanente employee actively tracking 20 or more participants for at least one activity will be entered into a drawing for this award.
Share Your Story Award:
The benefits of physical activity go well beyond the numbers on the tracker, scoreboard, or scale. At the core of Fire Up Your Feet is the heart and soul that each individual brings to their commitment to healthy, active kids and thriving schools. You are invited to share how your Fire Up Your Feet program is the most innovative and engaged program in the country! Please share a short narrative (minimum 5-10 sentences) about any one of the following topics:
- How Fire Up Your Feet helped your school community achieve 60 minutes of daily physical activity or increase activity overall.
- How Fire Up Your Feet helped engage school staff, parents and children as role models for health.
- How Fire Up Your Feet opportunities were made accessible to all audiences, especially in lower income areas.
- How Fire Up Your Feet helped parents and students to become champions for school wellness policies and active transportation.
- Innovative ways in which the Fire Up Your Feet program and awards have benefited or will benefit your school community.
The award will be presented to the school with a submission that best speaks to one or more of our program's core values listed above. Photos or videos are strongly encouraged. Complete the following form to accompany your submission and submit accompanying photos and videos to email@example.com between May 1 and June 3, 2016. Please make sure your email comes from the same address as the one listed on your official form entry. The winner will receive a $500 award on behalf of their school and national recognition on the blog and Facebook page. Limit one response per person.
Two Let's Move Active Schools Awards:
Schools that have enrolled with and completed an online Assessment for Let's Move Active Schools and have at least 10 participants tracking activity for the Fire Up Your Feet Challenge will be entered in a drawing for a $500 award.
Three PeopleForBikes Awards:
A $500 PeopleForBikes award will go to the top three schools nationally with the highest percentage of participants tracking bicycle activity. A total of three $500 awards are available; limit one award per state/region.
Others (see text field entitled "Additional Eligibility Criteria" for clarification)
Additional Eligibility Criteria
Only K-8 schools in these participating regions are eligible to win Challenge Awards:
Maryland, Oregon, Virginia, Southwest Washington, and Washington DC.
- Awards will be calculated by the Safe Routes to School National Partnership and awarded to a qualified school group such as a PTA, PTO, school, district, or school foundation. Awards will not be made to individuals.
Final Challenge Awards are calculated by the following formula: Total number of students, parents/guardians and school staff that tracked during the Challenge period, divided by school enrollment.
If a school wins a first-place award two Challenges in a row, they are ineligible to win a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place award for the following Challenge. However they are still eligible to win in other award categories.
- Awarded funds must be spent on activities/uses related to the school’s health and wellness goals.
- In order to be included in the award calculation registered parents, students, and school staff must track their activity at least once during the Challenge period.
- Schools must have a minimum of ten participants tracking one activity to be considered for a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd tier Challenge Award.
- In the event of a tie, a drawing will determine the awardee.
- School groups receiving the award will be required to complete an acknowledgement form.
Fire Up Your Feet award winners will receive discounts to purchase items from the following companies: