Foundation / Corporation
Irene W. and C.B. Pennington Foundation
08/15/19 4:00 PM Central Time
Grants mostly ranging from $15,000 to $30,000 to Louisiana nonprofits for projects that improve the quality of life and provide economic opportunities for residents of the Greater Baton Rouge area and surrounding parishes. Applicants requesting grants for capital needs must contact program staff before submitting a proposal.
Types of funding available:
- Capital: Funding for new construction, a major renovation or permanent assets and equipment; an endowment
- Disaster: Funding for the entire arc of disaster relief, from preparedness to recovery.
- Operating: Funding to cover the ongoing needs of an organization and its infrastructure (staff salaries, benefits, office leases, and utilities)
- Program: Funding to cover the expenses associated with a particular initiative (staff salaries, benefits, supplies, equipment, travel, office leases, utilities, and training)
- Seed: Funding for a start-up or emerging organization, or a potentially risky initiative for an already established organization.
The Foundation's focus areas include human services, health and chronic diseases, the arts, public safety and community development, disasters and community resilience, and the environment. The Foundation funds organizations at all stages of maturity and values projects that are innovative and leverage resources in new ways.
For more information about focus areas, see: http://www.penningtonfamilyfoundation.org/what_we_fund.php
GrantWatch ID#: 171580
Most of the grants awarded range from $15,000 to $30,000 and are usually for specific programs. Grants that range from $5,000 to $10,000 are often considered for annual support for the organization. Grants of more than $50,000 are less common and are typically awarded for capital projects. Grants are available for operating costs, but funding is typically $20,000 or less. The trustees prefer to give operating support to organizations that have ongoing relationships with the foundation.
In rare cases, multi-year grants are awarded. These are typically large capital gifts that are often provided over a three to five year period. Most grants are awarded for one year, but applicants may re-apply each year for consecutive funding. In some cases, the Irene W. and C. B. Pennington Foundation will consider a request to continue funding a project, though funding cannot be guaranteed beyond the awarded term.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Grant Application: https://apply.penningtonfamilyfoundation.org/App/SignIn.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fApp
Rachel Ayn Konick, Program Officer and Grants Manager
The Irene W. and C.B. Pennington Foundation
P.O. Box 80239
Baton Rouge, LA 70898
USA: Louisiana: Greater Baton Rouge area and the surrounding parishes, including East and West Feliciana and Pointe Coupee