Foundation / Corporation
Southeast Virginia Community Foundation (SEVACF)
Grants to Southeast Virginia nonprofit organizations for charitable and educational projects and activities that benefit local residents. Funding is intended to support projects that enhance the quality of life for all those residing across Southeast Virginia by addressing immediate needs while working toward long-term improvements.
Priority is given to projects that:
- Address current pressing problems
- Reach a broad section of the community
- Demonstrate innovation
- Have a track record of success
- Encourage matching gifts or added funding from other sources
- Yield substantial benefits for the costs involved
- Promote cooperation among agencies within their fields of interest
GrantWatch ID#: 171831
The guideline is to recommend one-year grants.
- Be classified as a charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code; or be part of a governmental body (such as schools or a park department that serves Southeast Virginia).
- Serve those in Southeast Virginia, or be located in Southeast Virginia.
- Have a grant proposal that does not fall into one of the following categories: debt reduction, general/administrative expenses, individual benefit, travel expenses for individuals or groups, political organization or activity, annual appeals or membership contributions, or capital and endowment building unless matching funds are generated within the particular organization.
This grant may be used only for the Grantee’s charitable and educational activities.
While the Southeast Virginia Community Foundation understands that the Grantee may participate in the public policy process consistent with its tax-exempt status, the Grantee may not use any Southeast Virginia Community Foundation grant funds to lobby or to otherwise attempt to influence legislation, to influence the outcome of any public election, or to carry on any voter registration drive.
This grant must be used only for the project identified above and as described in the Grantee’s proposal and related correspondence, and may not be expended for any other purposes without the Southeast Virginia Community Foundation’s prior written approval.
The Southeast Virginia Community Foundation may request that the Grantee return any unexpected grant funds remaining at the end of the project period.
The Southeast Virginia Community Foundation generally does not make grants for the following:
- Programs/equipment that were committed to prior to the grant application period
- Debt reduction
- Annual appeals or membership contributions
- Projects/organizations benefitting individuals or a few persons
- Travel expense for individuals or groups
- Support of public or private educational institutions or government agencies except in special situations where support is essential to projects/programs that meet critical community needs
- Political purposes
- Capital and endowment building unless matching funds are generated within the particular organization
Grant applications are accepted twice annually.
Spring Grants: January 15th
Fall Grants: July 15th
Please call the Foundation to schedule a time to speak to or meet with a Foundation staff member before applying.
Note: Organizations cannot receive a grant more than once in a twelve month period. If an organization is funded for three consecutive years, the Foundation kindly ask that you wait a year before applying to another grant cycle.
You may apply for grants by downloading the application document below and mailing or emailing all attachments, or by applying online.
Note: If applying online, applicants are advised to also download and review the application document to ensure that attached files meet instruction criteria.
Click here for more information on how to apply: https://sevacf.org/grants/apply/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit the attached application and attachments by mail or email to: 1435 Crossways Blvd, Suite 300, Chesapeake, VA 23320, or email@example.com.
Click on the following link and scroll down to complete the online application form: https://sevacf.org/grants/apply/
Additional Contact Information:
R. Stephen Best, Sr., Chief Executive Officer
Phone: (757) 397-5424
Fax: (757) 397-7948
USA: Virginia: Southeast Virginia