Grants to Maine nonprofit organizations and public agencies, Indian tribal governments, and public schools for programs to support communities in need. Program areas include education, youth, arts and culture, health care, and substance abuse rehabilitation. The fund supports specific projects and programs (rather than operating support). The fund has particular interest in discrete capital investments, including capital campaigns. Programs must benefit the Greater Portland area.
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt organizations, including most municipalities
- Public schools
- Public agencies working for the State of Maine
- Indian tribal governments (or political subdivisions) recognized by the Department of the Interior
- Non-exempt groups with a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) organization, public school, or public agency.
- Applicants must serve the Greater Portland area.
- Eligible organizations that have received grants from other Maine Community Foundation funds in the last 12 months are still eligible to apply to the Welch Charitable Fund.
- Expenses already incurred
- Political campaigns
- Lobbying in the form of calls to action on a specific vote
- Religious activities: including, but not limited to, religious services, promotion of religious beliefs, or activities that are restricted to church or religious group membership
Application Opens: May 1
Deadline: August 1, 11:59 p.m.
Notification: By October 15
If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be 11:59 p.m. of the next business day. Submit only one application per grant program, though organizations may submit an application to more than one grant program (even those that share the same deadline).