Nevada Department of Education (NDE)
02/28/18 12:00 PM
Grants starting at $50,000 per school to Nevada local education agencies (LEAs) to support a range of educational interventions in low-achieving schools. LEAs may apply on behalf of multiple school sites. The purpose of this program is to implement designated intervention models in an effort to enhance the quality of education.
LEAs that are approved for planning year funding must work with an external provider to complete a comprehensive needs assessment to inform the full SIG application. Each LEA applying to receive SIG funds must select one of the six intervention models described below.
NOTE: All SIG funds must be used to support the LEA’s implementation of one of the six intervention models in a Priority or Focus school, each of which represents a comprehensive approach to addressing the particular needs of the students in a school as identified through the LEA’s needs assessment.
Accordingly, in determining whether a particular proposed use of SIG funds is allowable, the SEA will consider the following:
-Is the proposed use of the funds directly related to the full and effective implementation of the model selected by the LEA?
-Does it address the needs identified by the LEA needs assessment?
-Will it advance the overall goal of the SIG program of improving student academic achievement in persistently lowest-achieving schools?
The LEA assures that it will:
(1) Use its School Improvement Grant to fully and effectively implement an intervention in each Priority and Focus school that the LEA commits to serve consistent with the final requirements and terms of the NDE SIG application;
(2) Establish annual goals for student achievement on the State’s assessments in both reading/language arts and mathematics and measure progress on the leading indicators in section III of the final requirements in order to monitor each Priority, and Focus school that receives school improvement funds;
(3) If it implements a restart model in a Priority or Focus school, include in its contract or agreement terms and provisions to hold the charter operator, charter management organization, or education management organization accountable for complying with the final requirements;
(4) Monitor and evaluate the actions a school has taken, as outlined in the approved SIG application, to recruit, select and provide oversight to external providers to ensure their quality;
(5) Monitor and evaluate the actions schools have taken, as outlined in the approved SIG application, to sustain the reforms after the funding period ends and that it will provide technical assistance to schools on how they can sustain progress in the absence of SIG funding;
(6) Report to the SEA the school-level data required under section III of the final requirements; and
(7) Ensure that each school it commits to serve receives all of the state and local funds it would otherwise receive in the absence of SIG funds and that the uses are aligned with the interventions (supplement not supplant).
GrantWatch ID#: 173139
$50,000 minimum - $2,000,000 maximum is available per funded school annually.
The grant period is July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2021.
Nevada local education agencies may apply.
This application must be completed at the LEA level with active participation from the school leadership team and input from students, families, school staff, and the community.
The deadline to apply is February 28, 2018 by 12:00 PM.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Karen Gordon, School Improvement Grant Director
Nevada Department of Education
Office of Student and School Supports
700 East Fifth Street, Suite 113
Carson City, NV 89701