Foundation / Corporation
Capital Region Community Foundation
04/13/18 5:00 PM or Postmarked by date
Grants ranging from $10,000 to $75,000 to Michigan nonprofits, schools, agencies, and faith-based organizations for programs that benefit Ingham, Clinton, and Eaton Counties. Preliminary applications are due on February 1, 2018. Funding is intended for programs that increase an organization's long-term impact, assist in expanding programs for the underserved, and to support collaborative community programs.
To apply for funding, projects must meet at least one of the following Impact Criteria:
- Significantly increase the long-term impact of an organization or program, not to provide cash assistance for ongoing operations.* For example, Impact grants will not be made to purchase food for a pantry, but the committee may consider purchasing refrigeration and storage equipment that would allow a food pantry to stock fresh meat, dairy and produce in order to provide healthier options for recipients.
- Significantly increase the organization’s ability to reach underserved populations, not to simply serve more people. For example: Impact grants will not be made to support additional people utilizing an existing program, but the committee may fund some costs of starting a satellite program to serve people in a different area of town. To qualify, the need for expanded services must be substantiated along with a detailed sustainability plan for long-term increased services.
- Enable two or more nonprofits to work collaboratively to create transformative and sustainable community change. For example, two organizations serving the same constituents may implement a new or expanded program together that would otherwise be impossible without collaboration.
*Operating expenses are defined as routine expenses in an organization's operating budget, including expenses related to existing, ongoing programming, occupancy, administration, etc. The committee will not provide grants that simply fill a gap in a nonprofit's operating budget.
The Community Foundation will consider leadership gifts at the beginning of capital campaigns in order to leverage other giving. Please contact the Foundation for information.
GrantWatch ID#: 173211
Impact Grants range from $10,000 to $75,000.
Funding is available to nonprofits classified by the IRS as 501(c)(3) organizations and other eligible entities (such as municipalities, schools, and faith-based organizations) that benefit residents of Clinton, Eaton and Ingham Counties, Michigan.
The following are areas which will not be considered for funding through the application process at this time:
- Sectarian or religious programs
- International organizations
- Endowment funds
- Annual meetings
- Routine operating expenses (existing programming and administration)
- Existing obligations, debts or expenses incurred before committee reviews proposal
Regarding colleges, universities and schools For Impact Grants, our Community Foundation will not support routine operating expenses, projects and activities, or equipment which are within the primary instructional and service responsibilities of a college, university or school, or which benefit only the college, university or school faculty, staff and students. Applications for funding of projects and activities sponsored or provided by colleges, universities and schools must: 1) demonstrate benefit to the broader community, beyond the academic institution, and 2) include letters of support from community organizations with their applications.
Inclusion/Non-discrimination Statement The Capital Region Community Foundation values projects and agencies that promote inclusiveness and that do not discriminate in hiring staff or providing services on the basis of race, gender, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
Brief Preliminary Grant Applications for Impact Grants are available online as of December 1, 2017 and are due February 1, 2018. A volunteer grant committee reviews the applications. Those which meet the Impact Criteria will be invited to submit a full grant application for funding consideration.
If you would like to discuss a grant idea, verify qualification of your proposal or organization, or have any questions, please call Pauline Pasch.
Impact Grant Timeline:
- December 1, 2017: Preliminary application available, RFPs on website and emailed to agencies
- February 1, 2018: Preliminary application due 5:00 PM
- March 16, 2018: Invitations/denial letters mailed to grant applicants
- April 13, 2018: Full grant application due (by invitation only)
- June 14, 2018: Grant decisions made
Note: All Impact Grants must fulfill or leverage a 1:1 cash match.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application: https://crcfgrants.egrant.net/login.aspx?PIID=147&OID=23
Capital Region Community Foundation
330 Marshall St., Suite 300
Lansing, MI 48912
Fax: (517) 272-2871
USA: Michigan: Clinton, Eaton, and Ingham Counties