Find Nonprofit and Small Business Grants

Advance Search

Only Available for Paid Subscribers
Clear Filters
Search Filters

Noxious Weed Trust Fund (NWTF) Grant Program

Grants to Montana Nonprofits and Agencies
to Control Noxious Weed Species

Agency Type:


Funding Source:

Add to My Calendar 

Montana Department of Agriculture (MDA)

Conf. Date:


Deadline Date:



Request a Grant Writer

Grants of up to $75,000 to nonprofits, conservation districts, county weed districts, and MSU extensions for projects to mitigate noxious weeds. Applicants are requested to contact the appropriate coordinator in developing an application. Funding is available for research, local cooperative, and education and development projects.

All supported projects should complement and enhance the Montana Weed Management Plan and focus on state or county listed noxious weeds.

Specific Project Types:

Research Projects:

Research projects may include chemical, non-chemical, biological, and integrated approaches to weed control. Creative proposals for investigating new weed management techniques are encouraged. Research proposals from agricultural experiment stations and the cooperative extension service for crop weed management research, evaluation, and education may be submitted for funding consideration.

Research projects should:
-Support the research needs listed in the Research Plan of Action section of the State Weed Management Plan,
-Be developed in cooperation with land managers to address land management needs,
-Increase knowledge of noxious weeds and/or improve an important aspect of noxious weed management,
-Enhance a new or existing method of weed management,
-Provide the foundation for a positive long-term effect on threatened natural resources,
-Contain specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely project objectives,
-Explain the purpose of the research, what research has been done in the past, and what improvement and/or increased knowledge the project will produce,
-Effectively disseminate project results to end users, and
-Provide a time schedule for beginning and completing all phases of the project.

Education/Development Projects:

Education/Development projects include mapping, monitoring, planning, and education.

Education/Development projects should:
-Support and focus on educational needs listed in the State Weed Management Plan,
-Build partnerships and include collaborative resources from weed management resources,
-Promote public awareness about noxious weed impacts and illustrate opportunities for action,
-Be based on sound ecological principles,
-Include a detailed action plan of how the project will be completed,
-Contain specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely project objectives,
-Specify how project success will be monitored and measured, including long-term evaluation, and
-Provide a time schedule for beginning and completing all phases of the project.

Local Cooperative Projects (Continuing and New):

Local Cooperative projects involve on the ground treatment of noxious weeds and require the participation of a minimum of three adjacent landowners. Participating landowners must have a committed dollar amount for the acres to be treated prior to application submission. Project area landowners will develop a cooperative weed management area, map noxious weeds in the project area, and develop long term weed control plans.

Local Cooperative project areas must be part of a county or tribal noxious weed management plan and a current county weed management plan must be on file with the Department of Agriculture. Tribes may submit or reference management plans from the county where they are located, multiple county plans, or their specific tribal weed management plan.

Local Cooperative projects should:
-Support the State Weed Management Plan and meet Cooperative Weed Management Area (CWMA) criteria as described in the State Weed Management Plan,
-Adhere closely to herbicide costs listed in the State Term Contract for agricultural chemicals,
-Include all project herbicides - additional herbicides cannot be added to the project,
-Have measurable objectives that describe how renewable resources will be enhanced,
-Have completed weed mapping of target noxious weed infestations and completed one year of cooperative work within the weed management area,
-Utilize appropriate integrated management techniques,
-Provide a time schedule for beginning and completing all phases of the project.
-Incorporate an annual monitoring plan to effectively track progress, and
-Provide educational opportunities for land managers.

New Local Cooperative projects with chemical use, and non-chemical weed control, require completion of an environmental assessment (EA) for the project area. It is important to allow enough time to complete the requirements of the EA. Requests for information required to complete the EA section of the application should be started by October.

EA requirements under the Noxious Weed Trust Fund Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (May 2010) include:
-Chemical Weed Control Projects: Vegetation type, soil type, water resources, air quality, habitat of fish & wildlife, threatened, endangered and species of concern, and historical and archeological sites.
-Non-Chemical Weed Control Projects (grazing, cultural, and mechanical projects): Vegetation types, habitat of fish & wildlife, threatened, endangered and species of concern, and historical and archeological sites.
-Maps: Surface and groundwater, soil types, threatened and endangered species (identify all surface waters by name on the surface and groundwater maps).
-Letters: MT Natural Heritage Program and MT Historical Society.
-Lists: Well locations and depths, threatened, endangered and species of concern.

Herbicide Applicator Licenses:
All commercial and governmental pesticide applicators must be properly licensed to apply herbicides. All landowners must have a farm applicator license if they will be using a restricted use herbicide, such as Tordon, in the project area. Verification of proper licensing will be required in project status reports.

308 Authorization:
Montana water quality standards require state waters to be free from toxic or harmful substances to aquatic life. The 308 Authorization allows a short-term exemption from these water quality standards to apply pesticides to a state water body. If an aquatic herbicide is going to be applied in or over the water, contact the Montana Department of Environmental Quality, Water Protection Bureau for more information on this permitting process.

Grazing Projects:
All sheep/goat grazing projects are required to consult with the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department (FWP) prior to project implementation due to possible conflict in areas associated with bighorn sheep or predators (i.e., grizzly bears and wolves); special preventative action and caution must be taken with grazing projects. If bighorn sheep, grizzly bears, or wolves are observed in or near your grazing project area, FWP must be notified immediately.

Mapping and Monitoring:
All local cooperative grant recipients are required to use, or share data with, EDDMapS West to map all weed infestations within the project boundaries. If you are currently using an alternative mapping or GIS program, please use the link below to access an upload service so the data can be incorporated into EDDMapS West.

Special Funding:

Applicants meeting the requirements may request special funding.

Special General Funding dollars are available to help mitigate the impact of noxious weeds on private lands as a result of the activities of the MT Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks. Examples of areas impacted by FWP activities include: wildlife grazing and wintering areas, recreation areas, and waterways.

Cooperative Forestry Assistance Funding dollars are available to help manage private, tribal, and non-federal public land noxious weed infestations. Requested funding must focus on state-listed noxious weeds and the project must be within an established Weed Management Area on private, tribal, and/or state lands in areas associated with federal lands with an active weed management program. The project area must have 10% forest cover or be lands with infestations adjacent to or associated with weed threatened forested lands. Funding is also available for projects located in or adjacent to the greater sage grouse core habitat areas.

GrantWatch ID#:

GrantWatch ID#: 173458

Estimated Size of Grant:

Applicants may apply for up to $75,000 per application.

Local Cooperative projects (new and continuing) may request administrative costs up to 3% of the grant total, maximum of $1,000, for project coordinators not receiving a Special County/Reservation grant.

Term of Contract:

Requested funds should be planned for use within one year.

Additional Eligibility Criteria:

All applications must be submitted by an authorized organization (county weed district, conservation district, MSU extension or a nonprofit).

Grant applicants collaborate with an organization, such as those listed below, that will administer the grant and serve as the recipient for funding reimbursements from the NWTF.

-County Weed District
-Tribal Weed District
-Extension Service
-Educational Institution
-Conservation District
-Other Established Organizations

Noxious Weed Trust Fund grant funds may not be used for:
-Application expenditures - developing grant proposals, grant hearing travel expense
-Purchase of publications
-Purchase of biocontrol agents
-Equipment purchases
-Project administration or indirect costs
-Capital improvements
-Annual herbicide for cropland/CRP practices
-Re-seeding efforts for alfalfa fields, grain for wildlife habitat, or other cropland situations

Pre-proposal Conference:

Applicants that are curious about the Noxious Weed Trust Fund, using an online grant system, or completing an environmental assessment are encouraged to attend one of the upcoming grant writing workshops.

The workshops are scheduled as follows:

-October 18 – Helena – Department of Agriculture Conference Room #225
-October 23 – Miles City - County Courthouse
-October 24 – Lewistown – MSU Northern Education Center

RSVP required by October 13. Please contact Jasmine Reimer for additional information.

Pre-Application Information:

Matching funds are not required for Research projects but can be included in budget information. In-kind matches or forgone indirect costs can be noted in the application.

Education/Development: Matching funds are not required for education/development grants, but are encouraged. In-kind match can be noted in the application.

Local Cooperative projects are required to have a minimum of 50% hard match for commercial application, herbicide, and revegetation costs. Projects are funded only if matching funds are available from grantees. All matching funds that are part of another government cost-share program must be specifically outlined in the grant proposal.

Applicants for Research Projects are requested to contact the State Biological Control Coordinator to discuss and collaborate on biological control components of the project.

Education/Development applicants are requested to contact the State Education Coordinator to discuss and collaborate on educational components of the project.

Applications for fiscal year 2018 NWTF grants are due by January 6, 2018.

Council members attend the NWTF Grant Hearings in February / March, where applicants provide a ten-minute presentation (PowerPoint, photos, etc.) for their project. An additional five minutes per application is allocated for questions from the Council.

Grant applicants will be notified of the date and time of their presentation following the application submittal deadline. The 2018 grant hearings will be held March 5, 2018 – March 9, 2018 at the Wingate in Helena.

Applicants selected for funding will be notified approximately three weeks after the NWTF grant hearings.

FY18 Grant Awards will be distributed April 2018.

Grant funding is provided as reimbursement for completed project expenditures.

For more information about EDDMapS visit:

EDDMapS Data Upload Link:

Contact Information:

Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.

Apply Online:

Jasmine Reimer, NWTF Grant Coordinator
P: (406) 444-7882
F: (406) 444-9493

Dave Burch, Weed Program Manager
P: (406) 444-3140
F: (406) 444-9493

Carol Bearden, Weed Program Specialist
P: (406) 444-7880
F: (406) 444-9493

The State Education Coordinator may be reached at 406-328-478.

The State Biological Control Coordinator may be reached at 406-258-4223.

Montana Department of Agriculture
Noxious Weed Program
302 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59601

URL for Full Text (RFP):

Geographic Focus:

USA: Montana