Foundation / Corporation
The Lumpkin Family Foundation
Grants to East Central Illinois nonprofit organizations for programming that promotes the agricultural economy, health, and rural development of local communities. Applicants must submit an LOI before submitting a full application. Preference will be given to organizations serving the Coles area and rural organizations. Funding is intended to support projects and programs that enhance the health and sustainability of the region.
Focus of Support - Successful proposals will represent a synergy of as many of the following aims as possible:
- Promote personal health through widespread availability and consumption of healthy, affordable food;
- Grow the local agricultural economy, sustaining and creating new viable farm and farm-related businesses;
- Develop, promote, and scale innovative green practices that add productive value to farms while protecting the land for future generations; and
- Encourage community engagement and collaboration, policy development, and research around agriculture and rural development.
Grantmaking reflects the Foundation's vision:
- The community has a strong local food system and agricultural economy, resilient businesses, and amenities that attract new businesses and retain local talent. The community is prosperous.
- The community is physically active and values healthy eating. The residents are well and physically fit.
- The community has strong leadership and the capacity for collaboration, and is socially engaged.
- The community works to conserve, protect, and preserve the natural environment, and values the natural beauty of the area.
Much of the Foundation's grantmaking supports collaboration and networks that support learning, develop understanding of issues, and encourage work across organizations and sectors.
GrantWatch ID#: 173650
The Foundation encourages grants from organizations across East Central Illinois. However, it may direct resources elsewhere when it aligns with the goals of the Foundation. Preference is given to rural organizations and those operating in Coles and the surrounding counties. Of special interest to the Foundation are programs or projects that connect communities.
The Lumpkin Family Foundation appreciates the special needs of the mostly small and rural communities.
Proposals will be considered from eligible 501(c)(3) organizations that reflect The Lumpkin Family Foundation's mission, serve the community without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, or religion, keep books available for regular independent outside audit, and make results available to all potential contributors, and comply with applicable laws regarding registration and reporting.
Grantees with a history of support from the Lumpkin Family Fund that closely match the Land, Health, Community strategic theme may be invited to participate in the new core grant program.
- The Fall 2018 cycle will open for Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) on July 27, 2018.
- LOIs are due on August 24, 2018.
- Full proposals will be invited by August 31, 2018.
- Applications will be due on September 28, 2018.
- Final grant decisions will be made by October 26, 2018.
The Land, Health, Community grant cycles open twice a year, Spring and Fall, and are comprised of an LOI phase and an Application phase. When a cycle opens for a particular fund, eligible organizations are encouraged to submit an LOI through the online grantmaking system. (No LOIs will be accepted via mail or email. The entire LOI and application process is online.) A committee of members and community volunteers will review the applicant's LOI. The Foundation does its best to keep the entire process under 10 weeks and will contact the applicant via email with an acceptance or declination of the LOI. If the LOI is accepted, the applicant will be asked to submit a full application.
Prospective grantees are encouraged to contact the Foundation to discuss their potential proposal and its possible fit with Foundation guidelines. In addition, the Foundation offers to review applications prior to the final submit date and give suggestions for how the application might be improved. Information about the pre-submit review process is provided when an organization is invited to complete a full application.
To begin the application process: https://www.lumpkinfoundation.org/apply-report-here
For a sample application form: https://thelumpkinfamilyfoundation.app.box.com/s/hlcj99jj5bboc3cpn7zdd83uj7pwr10o
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For the online application portal:
For inquiries, applicants are requested to contact:
The Lumpkin Family Foundation
121 South 17th Street
Mattoon, IL 61938
Fax: (217) 258-8444
For the LFF area map: https://thelumpkinfamilyfoundation.app.box.com/s/12cbnllf7qpk2fp76mrmcjj5q5xijstd
USA: Illinois: East Central Illinois