Foundation / Corporation
San Juan Island Community Foundation (SJICF)
09/17/18 Received or Postmarked by Date
Grants to San Juan Island, Washington nonprofit organizations, government agencies, nonprofit schools, and religious organizations for programs that address short and long-term needs and help support a healthy thriving community on San Juan Island. Applicants must meet with Foundation representatives before an application is submitted. Proposals are evaluated on their potential value to the San Juan Island community and the quality of planning, leadership, collaboration, and vision expressed in the proposal.
The Foundation seeks to ensure the long-term health of the San Juan Island Community by:
- Supporting projects and programs that benefit local citizens, meet community needs, and test new ideas
- Awarding educational scholarships to deserving San Juan Island students.
What types of projects are supported?
- Projects that address current or emerging community needs
- Projects that are well-designed, collaborative and supported by others outside the organization
- Projects that are new and innovative, have a marketing plan and address the sustainability of the project
GrantWatch ID#: 173661
Grants vary tremendously with the project. Amounts need to be justified using a financial and business planning approach and will be carefully scrutinized. To date, the range has been $500 to $10 million.
The Community Foundation may only give grants to tax-exempt organizations, 501(c)(3)s as defined by the IRS in sections 509(a)(1) and 509(a)(2). The Foundation may award grants to local nonprofit branches of 501(c)(1) organizations, government agencies, non-profit schools and religious organizations, but only for non-religious purposes.
Foundation grants are targeted to the local community. Grants made to an outside organization must be used for programs that directly benefit the local community. Grants made from Donor Advised funds are different and may be made at the request of the donor and may be awarded to any qualifying organization throughout the world.
What types of projects or organizations are not supported?
- Projects that benefit individuals directly;
- Religious organizations where the funds would be used to further the organization’s religious purpose
- Political organizations
- Any group that discriminates as to race, creed, ethnic group, or gender
- Travel, conferences or any form of direct financial assistance to individuals
- Association dues
- Budget shortfalls or debt retirement
- Fundraising event costs
- Projects that have already occurred are not funded retroactively
- Food and salaries are generally not funded
In order for your grant to be considered in a timely manner, please complete your application prior to the deadline dates below:
- January 15, 2018
- May 14, 2018
- September 17, 2018
An organization must meet with a Foundation representative(s) to discuss its project before filing an application. This process is designed to help the nonprofit with the application process and to allow the Foundation to thoroughly understand the intent of the grant. To schedule a pre-application meeting, please contact the office.
To submit a grant application, please complete and email the form to the address below in Contact Information. If you prefer, you are also welcome to drop off the application at the office. Click on the links in the Supporting Documents section below to download the application in PDF and Word formats.
Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis. Incomplete applications will be returned.
Applicants are notified of a grant award or denial by letter. Most grants require fund development to make an award and applicants should plan for a minimum of 1-month notice. Sometimes it can take up to 3-months or longer.
For more information, click here for the Grant Applicants FAQs page:
and here for Nonprofit Organization FAQs:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you prefer, you are also welcome to drop off the application at the office:
San Juan Island Community Foundation
PO Box 1352
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Call the Foundation office at: 360-378-1001.
USA: Washington: San Juan Island