Foundation / Corporation
Sentara Foundation - Hampton Roads
07/15/17 5:00 PM
Grants to Hampton Roads area, Virginia nonprofit organizations for programs and projects that significantly improve the quality of life and the health of local residents. Eligible applicants must provide health and human services to the disadvantaged. Funding is specifically intended to support organizations that demonstrate an ability to make an impact on any of the following two priority areas in the Greater Hampton Roads area:
Direct Patient Care (first priority)
Patient services provided to the indigent and underinsured are critical in providing a health safety net for those without sufficient financial resources to manage their health care. Areas of focus for direct patient care include:
- Basic Health Services – Ongoing primary care of the indigent population that is typically provided by community health centers and free clinics.
- Specialty Health Services – Medical services provided by a specialist physician to address care beyond ongoing primary care.
- Chronic Disease Management – Medical services to manage indigent patients who suffer from diabetes, heart failure, or asthma.
- Oral Health Services – Dental services for both indigent adults and children are critical to the overall health of that individual. Often, neglected oral hygiene will be a root cause of significant health issues and can contribute to a poor health outcome.
- Prescription Drug Supplies – Short- and long-term prescription drug needs of the impoverished are a vital component of the successful treatment of our community’s indigent population.
- Mental Health Services – Treatment of mental health conditions which impact physical health status. Diseases such as schizophrenia and other psychosocial disorders are prevalent among the homeless and other indigent patients.
- Maternal Health Services - Direct prenatal and postpartum care for needy mothers are essential to healthy outcomes. Services include medical and dental assessment, psychosocial screening and referral, care coordination, and assistance with plans for delivery and postpartum home visiting.
Connection-to-Care Services (second priority)
Coordination of care, case management, transportation and other connection to medical services are ongoing community challenges for the indigent and underinsured. Collaboration among agencies and services to coordinate care, provide transportation or other similar assistance is greatly encouraged. The Sentara Foundation – Hampton Roads will support these programs as its second priority. Thus, resources allocated to connection-to-care programs will be subject to limitations of funds after direct patient care programs are evaluated.
Connection-to-care programs should focus on the previously defined vulnerable populations: examples include:
- Transportation to medical appointments
- Case management
- Telemedicine implementations to increase access for these vulnerable populations
- Programs to recruit medical specialists for care of uninsured/underinsured
Special consideration is given to projects that utilize telemedicine or other innovative technology to reach more people at a lower cost, and that provide direct patient care for the following identified health gaps:
- Behavioral health
- Specialist medical care for the uninsured/under-insured
- Oral health
GrantWatch ID#: 173771
The Sentara Foundation – Hampton Roads will accept grant applications from 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations or governmental agencies that operate within the Greater Hampton Roads region of Virginia.
Organizations must provide health and human services to the disadvantaged.
Current grantees must have fulfilled reporting requirements from current period to be considered for grant funding in this round.
As a matter of policy, the Sentara Community Recognition Grants typically are not awarded for:
- Political programs or events
- Activities that exclusively benefit the members of sectarian or religious organizations
- Organizations that discriminate by race, color, creed, gender or national origin
- Biomedical or clinical research
- Direct support to endowments
- Funding that supplants existing sources of support
- Individuals, including patient assistance funds
- Annual or capital fund drives
- Sentara programs
- Services outside Virginia’s Greater Hampton Roads area
Grant Applications are due July 15th for awards in the following year.
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to download the guidelines. Please review the prior to application submission.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Log in and apply online: https://www.tfaforms.com/417844
Sentara Foundation — Hampton Roads
6015 Poplar Hall Drive
Norfolk, VA 23502
USA: Virginia: Hampton Roads Area