Foundation / Corporation
Monterey Peninsula Foundation
Grants starting at $1,000 to California nonprofit organizations, schools, and agencies for programs that benefit the residents of Santa Cruz, Monterey, or San Benito Counties. Funding is intended for the following areas of focus: arts and culture, education, community and environment, youth, and health and human services. The Foundation offers operating, program, and capital support.
Organizations seeking funding for a specific program should showcase a significant funding gap or critical opportunity, a long-term impact, preventive intervention and education, and produce measurable results.
GrantWatch ID#: 173782
Grants range widely from $1,000 to $500,000.
Individual public K-12 schools are limited to requesting no more than $30,000 per year.
School districts are limited to requesting no more than $400,000 per year for projects critical to a district-wide strategy.
In general, grants are awarded for a one-year period. Multi-year support is considered on a case-by-case basis.
Grants are open to 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations (including universities, colleges, and charter and private schools), public K-12 schools, and public agencies serving residents of Monterey, Santa Cruz, or San Benito Counties.
Grant funds will not be considered for the following:
- Activities that solely promote a religious doctrine
- Academic research
- Creation of, or addition to, an endowment fund
- Expenses incurred before the grant award date
- Fundraising campaigns or events
- Organizations classified as private foundations
- Organizations that discriminate in its employment practices, volunteer opportunities or delivery of programs and services on the basis of race, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by law
- Organizations that do not have 100% board financial giving (except for public K-12 schools and public agencies)
- Organizations that have been in operation less than three years
- Payment of debt or legal settlements
- Political or partisan purposes
- Staff salaries for school or public agency employees
Requests for technology will be considered with preference given to requests containing: a plan to sustain upgrades/maintenance from a variety of strong funding sources.
Public K-12 schools and public agencies are not eligible for multi-year support.
Charter schools and private schools must have 501(c)(3) nonprofit status and apply using the general grant application, and are subject to the same requirements as nonprofit organizations.
Though the Foundation accepts grant applications throughout the year, the following is the schedule for consideration:
- January 1 for Grant Committee review in March
- April 1 for Grant Committee review in June
- July 1 for Grant Committee review in September
- October 1 for Grant Committee review in December
Groups or programs under a fiscal agent should contact Mary Shipsey Gunn before applying.
Public agencies are recommended to contact Mary Shipsey Gunn before applying.
Only public K-12 schools may use the Public K-12 School grant application. Use of incorrect application may result in the delay of review.
How to apply:
For more information about the Foundation's Focus Areas:
For resources on grant writing and other trainings, visit the Community Foundation for Monterey County’s Center for Nonprofit Excellence: http://www.cfmco.org/nonprofits/center-for-nonprofit-excellence/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
General Grant Application:
Public K-12 School Grant application:
For questions regarding giving strategies or community initiatives, contact:
Mary Shipsey Gunn
For questions about eligibility and multi-year support, please contact Hana Kong, Program Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831.649.1533.
For questions about the Online Portal or the application process, contact Breanna Warnars, Program Associate at
email@example.com or 831.649.1533.
USA: California: Monterey, Santa Cruz, or San Benito Counties