Foundation / Corporation
American Alpine Club (AAC)
Grants ranging from $1,000 to $8,000 to USA nonprofit organizations to protect and conserve mountain climbing resources. Funding is intended to help create healthy landscapes, empower local climbing communities, and promote respect for climbing locations.
- Have measurable, high impact yet achievable goals
- Incorporate best practices for sustainability
- Improve land conservation and climber practices
- Demonstrate reduced impact from climber practices
- Demonstrate a plan for long-term success
- Engage members of the local climbing community
- Have local land manager endorsement
- Have local AAC Section endorsement
- Have a realistic budget
- Utilize matching agency, local funds or Access Fund grant money
Past AAC projects include new trails and human-waste management policies at Utah's Castleton Tower and Indian Creek climbing areas, a new human-waste management system in Grand Teton National Park, new trails and waste-management systems in Rocky Mountain National Park's Lumpy Ridge climbing area, and the Clean Mountain Can program on Denali.
GrantWatch ID#: 173943
Grants range from $1,000 to $8,000, depending on the size and scope of project.
Successful applicants have 18 months to complete projects.
- Applicants that are not 501(c)(3) organizations must provide a fiscal sponsor.
- Applicants must have local land manager endorsement
- Applicants must have local AAC Section endorsement
This year the Foundation will not fund projects whose primary goals are land acquisition or fixed anchor replacements.
The AAC accepts applications every year between June 15 and August 15. Applicants will be advised on or before September 30.
Please note that the AAC coordinates closely with the Access Fund in reviewing grant proposals and awarding funding. For larger projects, consider matching a Climbing Conservation Grant with a Cornerstone Conservation Grant.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming