Foundation / Corporation
Union Benevolent Association (UBA)
Grants ranging from $500 to $10,000 and grants of $20,000 to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania nonprofit organizations to benefit the City's underserved population. Funding is intended to supply local residents in need with essential items such as food, clothing, and shelter, as well as hygiene products, utilities, and personal identification documents.
Beginning with the Fall 2018 Grant Cycle, the Union Benevolent Association will make grants to organizations that meet basic needs to alleviate the burden of poverty for vulnerable residents of Philadelphia. Basic needs are defined as food, shelter, clothing and other necessities including but not limited to: assistance in obtaining identification documents such as birth certificates and State Photo ID; the provision of post office boxes for those who lack an address; hygiene products and other toiletries; utilities such as heat; and essential human services.
Types of Grants:
General Grants - UBA grant awards are unrestricted. Nonetheless, grants are awarded based on the organization's success in implementing specific programs which demonstrably contribute to alleviating poverty in Philadelphia. Applicants are expected to identify specific metrics by which their performance can be evaluated and report that performance to UBA.
Targeted Grants - UBA may occasionally provide Focused Support when a timely response to exceptional circumstances can be particularly beneficial to poor and disadvantaged residents of Philadelphia. The application process for these targeted grants is by invitation only.
GrantWatch ID#: 174545
- General Grants range from $500 to $10,000.
- Targeted Grants are in the amount of $20,000.
The Union Benevolent Association:
- Only makes grants to nonprofit organizations recognized under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Small, new and/or grassroots efforts may be eligible if they partner with a recognized 501(c)(3) organization acting as a fiscal sponsor.
- Only makes grants to organizations that serve people within Philadelphia.
- Does not make grants to individuals.
- Does not make grants to support capital renovations, major building campaigns or endowments.
- Will only fund an organization for three out of the past five years.
Priority will be given to organizations with operating budgets below $1 million. However, larger organizations that address the Foundation's funding priorities and can demonstrate the impact of grant funds will be considered.
The online application opens 30 days before the due date.
- March 1st
- September 30th
Organizations may only receive one grant per calendar year.
Please direct any questions to the UBA’s Grants Administrator, Lisa Dugan.
Application tutorial video:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For the online application portal:
Lisa Dugan, Grants Administrator
USA: Pennsylvania: Philadelphia