Foundation / Corporation
James M. Cox Foundation
Grants to USA nonprofits and government agencies in multiple states for a range of programs that benefit local communities where the funding source operates. The funding source concentrates its community support the priority areas of conservation and the environment, early childhood education (birth to five years), empowering families and individuals for success, and health.
Two types of support are considered: requests for capital campaigns (i.e., building construction/ renovation or equipment); and requests for special projects (i.e., program expansion or capacity-building efforts). Awards for basic operating expenses and support for annual programs usually are not granted.
GrantWatch ID#: 174648
Your organization is eligible to submit an application if it meets the following criteria:
- Organizations must be federally tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code with non-private foundation status, or an equivalent government entity under section 170 (c)(1).
- Organizations must be located in the United States and in an area where Cox Enterprises or one of its subsidiaries does business. For a complete list of Cox businesses and information on specific locations, view the location map.
- Organizations located outside of metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia must have a letter of endorsement from the General Manager or equivalent leader at the local Cox business to submit with the application. For additional information about letters of endorsement, please see below under “limitations.”
Cox Enterprises does not provide loans to organizations or individuals. Grants are not provided for the following:
- Scholarships for individual students or nonprofit organizations for the purpose of granting scholarships benefitting an individual;
- Annual operating purposes (includes expenses for salaries, overhead, or other recurring program or administrative costs;
- Seed money, or as the only funding source of an organization;
- Endowment funds;
- Conferences and seminars;
- Fundraising events or sponsorships (dinners, golf tournaments, walks/runs, benefits, raffles, tickets, tables, etc.);
- Organizations whose primary purpose is to influence legislation;
- Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns;
- Religious organizations for general operating support, sanctuary construction/renovation or mission-focused work. However, we do consider requests from religious organizations with 501(c)(3) status to provide project-specific social services outreach programs that are not limited to a specific religious affiliation; or
- Organizations or programs that discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, or physical disability.
All funding requests must be submitted through the online application portal.
Grant applications are accepted throughout the year and are considered at the next scheduled Trustee meeting. The Trustees meet three times per year. The deadlines for receipt of applications before each meeting are: February 15th, June 15th, and October 15th. Applications are due by midnight on each of the deadline dates.
Applications received by: February 15th
Will be considered in: April
You will receive a response by: May 15th
Applications received by: June 15th
Will be considered in: August
You will receive a response by: September 30th
Applications received by: October 15th
Will be considered in: December
You will receive a response by: December 31st
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to preview the application form and see the information you will be asked to provide.
For FAQs go to: http://coxenterprises.com/corporate-responsibility/giving/foundations/frequently-asked-questions.aspx
Letters of endorsement for organizations wishing to apply are provided at the local or regional Cox management team’s discretion based upon alignment with local priorities. Preference is given to organizations that have a history of engagement with the local business and its employees.
Only one request will be considered per organization during a 12-month period. For example, if a request is submitted in March, whether it is approved or declined, another request will not be considered until the following March.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To begin a new application go to: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_1103?SA=SNA&FID=35017
To access saved applications or submit a grant report go to: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_1103/Default.asp?CT=CT&SA=AM&FID=&SESID=61537&RL=
Please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
USA: Alabama; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Kansas; Louisiana; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Nebraska; Nevada; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; Wisconsin; Wyoming