Foundation / Corporation
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
11/01/18 5:00 PM ET
Grants ranging from $10,000 to $35,000 to Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Washington, DC nonprofits for education programs that assist students with significant financial need in the Washington, DC area. Programs should focus on K-12 education, college access and completion, or visual and performing arts education. Funding is intended to help students reach their fullest potential through education.
Funding can support the establishment of new programs or the enhancement of existing initiatives that support high-potential low-income students. The Foundation is most interested in programs that strive to exceed standards rather than meet them, and aim to promote engagement, enrichment, creativity, talent development, and intellectual curiosity.
Organizations must be located in and serve students in the following geographic areas:
-Virginia: Loudoun, Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William, Clarke, or Fauquier counties; the cities of Alexandria, Manassas, Manassas Park, or Falls Church;
-District of Columbia;
-Maryland: Montgomery or Prince George’s counties.
Examples of eligible programs include school-year or summer academic enrichment opportunities, college access programs, arts education, service learning, and STEM programs, and innovative programs that bridge education and technology. Funds may also be used for the development of education-related products that will directly benefit students such as handbooks, training guides, and other written and digital media.
GrantWatch ID#: 176151
Selected grantees will receive a one-time grant of between $10,000 – $35,000.
Grants are one-time only and may be used over one year. The grant period can begin April 1, 2019.
To be considered for a grant, your organization must:
- Be classified as a public charity and tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code
- Not have received a grant from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation within the twelve months preceding the current submission deadline.
- Focus on K-12 education, college access and completion, or visual and performing arts education.
- Serve low- to moderate-income students, including those who demonstrate strong academic potential.
- Present distinctive and noteworthy practices.
- Have a deserved reputation for operating high-quality programs that achieve outstanding student outcomes.
Nonprofits must be located and serve students in the following geographic areas:
- Virginia: Loudoun, Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William, Clarke, or Fauquier Counties; the cities of Alexandria, Manassas, Manassas Park, or Falls Church;
- District of Columbia;
- Maryland: Montgomery or Prince George's Counties.
Note: Public schools wishing to apply for funding, should seek collaboration and guidance from their district's education foundation.
-Early childhood education (pre-K)
-GED completion programs
-Adult financial literacy
Additionally, this grant does not fund general operating support, capital improvements, endowments, lobbying, or activities that exclusively benefit the members of sectarian or religious organizations.
- August 30, 2018: Application process opens.
- November 1, 2018: Absolute deadline for receipt of proposals at 5:00 p.m. ET.
- Early March 2019: Grant award notification.
- Late March 2019: If approved, grant payments disbursed.
- April 2019: For budgeting purposes, grant period can begin as early as April 1, 2019.
- May 31, 2020: Grantee narrative and financial report due.
Further application information: https://jkcfyscholars1.communityforce.com/Funds/FundDetails.aspx?496F49596D593768464E3537506B6F754D5442315A306747456B356A78306D366A59464243465A7378596F416566784377696150497575483670456A3036695230626757654D78336B51493D
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
For questions, call 800-941-3300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
44325 Woodridge Parkway
Lansdowne, VA 20176
USA: Maryland: Montgomery and Prince George's Counties; Virginia: Loudoun, Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William, Clarke, or Fauquier counties; the Cities of Alexandria, Manassas, Manassas Park, and Falls Church; Washington, DC