Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowships in American Art
Fellowships to USA PhD Students for
Scholarly Research in American Art History
Scholarly Research in American Art History
Foundation / Corporation
Henry Luce Foundation, American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS)
10/26/16 9:00 PM EDT
Fellowships of up to $34,000 to USA PhD candidates to support a one-year period of dissertation research and writing in the field of American art history. Although the research topic may be historically or theoretically based, priority should be given to the art object and/or image.
The fellowships may be carried out in residence at the fellow's home institution, abroad, or at another appropriate site for the research. The fellowships may not be used to defray tuition costs or be held concurrently with any other major fellowship or grant.
Stipends are $30,000, plus up to $4,000 as a travel and research allowance.
Terms are one year and non-renewable and must begin between June and September 2017 for the 2017-18 academic year.
- Be a PhD candidate in a department of art history in the United States. A student with an appropriate project whose degree will be granted by another department is eligible only if the principal dissertation advisor is in a department of art history. (Students preparing theses for the Master of Fine Arts degree are not eligible.)
- Have a dissertation focused on a topic in the history of the visual arts of the United States. Projects should be focused foremost on the art object and/or image and employ an art-historical or visual studies approach. Although the topic may be historically and/or theoretically grounded, proposals whose emphases are predominantly socio-historical will not be considered.
- Have completed all requirements for the PhD except the dissertation before beginning fellowship tenure.
have not previously applied for this fellowship more than once.
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Applications must be submitted online and must include:
- Completed application form
- Proposal (no more than five pages, douable spaced, in Times New Roman 11-point font)
- Illustrations (no more than three pages) [optional]
- Bibliography (no more than two pages)
- List of publications, exhibitions, and/or presentations (no more than two pages) [optional]
- Two reference letters, one of which must come from the applicant's dissertation advisor
- A statement from the applicant’s institution (preferably from the applicant’s department chair, director of graduate studies, or dean). The provided form asks the institutional representative to confirm that the applicant is a doctoral candidate in good standing and that all requirements for the PhD except the dissertation will be completed by the beginning of fellowship tenure. Most importantly, the institutional representative should confirm that (1) the normal academic year tuition payments for the awardee will be waived or will be provided by the awardee's university, and that (2) the university will continue to provide the student with appropriate access to its research resources and facilities. The person submitting the statement should not be one of the reference letter writers.
Note that transcripts are not required.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply, go to https://ofa.acls.org/
Matthew Goldfeder, Director of Fellowship Programs
American Council of Learned Societies
633 Third Avenue, 8th fl.
New York, NY 10017-6795
USA: Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York New York City North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington Washington, DC West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming
Libby is constantly in touch with grant program managers and reviews numerous publications to make sure that GrantWatch.com provides subscribers with the most up-to-date grant opportunities.
We have grants for:
Hi, I would love to guide you through the site.
Please feel free to call or write.