Foundation / Corporation
Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation (MAAF)
11/20/17 11:59 PM EST
Grants of $2,400 to USA and Virgin Islands nonprofits and units of government in the mid-Atlantic region to screen recent works of independent American filmmakers in area communities. Funding is intended to increase accessibility and appreciation for film through direct audience engagement. Regional nonprofit venues and arts organizations actively participate in the program by serving as host sites for the touring filmmakers through a partnership with the Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation (MAAF).
Eligible nonprofits and government agencies must be located in Delaware, Washington, D.C., Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and the USA Virgin Islands.
By organizing and managing the call for film submissions and consolidating administrative and travel costs, On Screen/In Person seeks to deliver the best in independent filmmaking to organizations seeking dynamic, cost-effective programming options.
- Nonprofit venues and arts organizations in the mid-Atlantic region apply to partner with MAAF and serve as host sites for the touring filmmakers
- Six films and filmmakers are selected to tour by the appointed host sites through a competitive review process
- Tours are scheduled during six months of the program year (September-October-November 2018; FebruaryMarch April 2019). Each selected filmmaker is scheduled to visit between approximately six-to-ten host sites and tour for up to three weeks during ONE of the months the program is active.
- Each engagement on a tour includes a public screening preceded or followed by a question and answer session with the filmmaker, and a community engagement activity or event collaboratively developed by the filmmaker and the local host site.
For a $5,000 participation fee, host sites receive:
- Six public screenings of the selected films preceded or followed by a question and answer session with the filmmaker
- At least six community engagement activities related to the selected films (e.g. meet-the-filmmaker luncheons, classroom visits, receptions, panels, etc.). Engagement activities are developed by the filmmaker and host site to best serve the local community.
- Each host site is awarded a grant, in the amount of $2,400, to cover the cost of filmmaker stipends and ensure specific funding is earmarked for this purpose. Stipends are paid directly by the host sites to the filmmakers ($400 per filmmaker). Funding awarded by MAAF is restricted to the specific, direct costs of the project, as detailed, and may not be used for indirect costs.
- Participation in a competitive film review process organized by MAAF which enables host sites to collectively select from a wide range of film submissions
- Filmmakers’ travel and accommodations are coordinated and paid in full by MAAF, which also provides filmmaker per diems
- Full administrative coordination of the scheduling process and general tour management by MAAF staff
- MAAF provides host sites with downloadable electronic promotional materials (including program logos, web banners, high-resolution photographs, filmmaker biographies, and film synopses); a marketing toolkit; and maintains the On Screen/In Person blog
GrantWatch ID#: 177014
Six films and their creators are selected for touring annually.
Tours are scheduled during six months of the program year (September-October-November 2018; February-March-April 2019). Each selected filmmaker is scheduled to tour for approximately two-to-three weeks during one of the months the program is active and visit each participating host site.
To be eligible, organizations must:
- Be designated by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization or a unit of local or state government.
- Be located in Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, USA Virgin Islands, Virginia, or West Virginia.
- Possess or have access to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant screening facilities and well-maintained, digital projection equipment. At a minimum, host sites must be able to screen DVDs.
- Have a minimum of five days available to schedule the screenings and filmmaker engagements during each month the program is active (September-October-November 2018; February-March-April 2019).
- Be in good standing with MAAF at the time of application with no overdue or outstanding required reports and/or grant documents.
Organizations selected as host sites are required to:
- Identify a representative(s) with appropriate expertise to participate in the review of submitted films.
- Send a representative at its own cost to the final film selection meeting held in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Communicate with each participating filmmaker about the development and scheduling of community engagement activities (in addition to pre or post-screening discussion session).
- Provide recommendations to the filmmakers for clean, safe, affordable lodging in the host community.
- Provide an honorarium of $400 to each of six touring filmmakers through a grant from MAAF.
- Provide qualified projectionist and well-maintained, functional projection equipment.
- Market and promote the film series in their community in advance of the screenings through print and electronic media, as well as radio and television outlets, whenever possible.
- Host a public screening of each selected film with Q&A and organize at least one related community engagement activity for each film
- Complete a final report for MAAF upon conclusion of the 2018-2019 tour
- Provide MAAF with a participation fee of $5,000.
Applications are due Monday, November 20, 2017 at 11:59 PM EST.
Support is available during regular MAAF business hours, 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday. Support will only be available through 5:00 PM EST on the day of the deadline.
New applicants will be notified in writing of the status of their applications in December 2017. Host sites will participate in film review from mid- January to February 2018, and should be prepared to begin evaluation of the films pending notification from MAAF.
Applicants and returning host sites and will be asked to select a participation fee payment plan. Applicants may elect to remit payment in multiple installments over the course of spring and summer 2018, or may pay the entire participation fee in the first week of July 2018. The participation fee must be paid in full no later than July 6, 2018.
Please note: Acceptance to the program requires a participation fee of $5,000.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
For questions concerning the program or application process, please review the Guidelines then contact Kimberly Steinle-Super at 410-539-6656 x101 or email@example.com.
USA: Delaware; Maryland; New Jersey; New York City; New York; Pennsylvania; Virginia; Washington, DC; West Virginia
USA Territories: Virgin Islands (USA)