Foundation / Corporation
Mary Black Foundation
02/22/19 5:00 PM
Grants averaging $70,000 to Spartanburg County, South Carolina nonprofits and government agencies for projects that promote health through proper nutrition and maintaining an active lifestyle. Applicants must meet with Foundation staff at least 30 days prior to the grant application deadline.
The Foundation believes that an increase in access to healthy foods and an increase in active living will improve the health and wellness of the people and communities of Spartanburg County. To that effect, funding is intended for the following focus areas:
- Healthy Eating refers to the availability and affordability of fresh healthy foods in communities, schools, workplaces, and places of worship, regardless of income and geographic location.
- Active Living refers to a way of life that integrates physical activity into daily routines. In addition to recreational exercise, active living includes moderate forms of activity such as walking or bicycling for transportation, taking the stairs, or working in the yard.
Efforts to increase the availability and affordability of fresh, healthy foods will include:
- Addressing the underlying causes – i.e. food desert mitigation strategies,
- Reducing barriers to making healthy eating decisions, and
- Encouraging connections between existing infrastructure, such as farms and schools, to help create better community access to healthy foods.
Improving the health and wellness of Spartanburg County through increased physical activity will require efforts that:
- Remove barriers to engaging in physical activity
- Create more opportunities for active transportation and physical activity, and
- Encourage the use of existing active transportation infrastructure and physical activity resources.
GrantWatch ID#: 177169
Grants vary, with an average size of $70,000.
The Foundation provides multi-year funding for these grants.
The Foundation awards grants to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations and governmental agencies working to improve the health and wellness of the people of Spartanburg County. Agencies that are located outside of Spartanburg County may apply if the proposed project will benefit primarily the residents of Spartanburg County.
The Mary Black Foundation generally does not fund:
- Activities that are discriminatory or organizations engaged in discriminatory practices, including, but not limited to, written or informal policies and procedures regarding staff and/or volunteer requirements, program content, or participant eligibility that are discriminatory.
- Direct grants or scholarships (including tuition assistance) for individuals;
- Grants that further political or religious activities;
- Medical, scientific, or academic research;
- Vans or buses used to transport people;
- Activities and/or programs that duplicate efforts that are, have been, or should be offered at local hospitals;
- Activities, projects, or programs that will have been completed before funding becomes available;
- Endowments or other reserve funds or the payment of debt;
- Fundraising events, celebrations, or dinners; or
- Individual schools unless the project is district or county-wide and is supported by the superintendent(s).
Before submitting an application, potential applicants must meet with the Foundation’s program staff. Applicants should meet with staff at least 30 days prior to the grant deadline. Contact Amy Page to schedule a grant consultation before applying.
Applications are due by 5:00 PM on February 22, 2019. If the application deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the application will be accepted on the next business day by 5:00 PM.
The review process takes approximately 75 days. You will be contacted as soon as a decision is reached. If you do not receive an email confirmation, please contact Amy Page. Once a grant is approved, generally, grant funds are available within 15 – 30 days.
How to apply:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
Mary Black Foundation
349 East Main Street, Suite 100
Spartanburg, SC 29302
USA: South Carolina: Spartanburg County