Foundation / Corporation
Mary Black Foundation
02/22/19 5:00 PM
Grants averaging $70,000 to Spartanburg County, South Carolina nonprofits and government agencies for projects that promote health through proper nutrition and maintaining an active lifestyle. Applicants must meet with Foundation staff at least 30 days prior to the grant application deadline.
The Foundation believes that an increase in access to healthy foods and an increase in active living will improve the health and wellness of the people and communities of Spartanburg County. To that effect, funding is intended for the following focus areas:
- Healthy Eating refers to the availability and affordability of fresh healthy foods in communities, schools, workplaces, and places of worship, regardless of income and geographic location.
- Active Living refers to a way of life that integrates physical activity into daily routines. In addition to recreational exercise, active living includes moderate forms of activity such as walking or bicycling for transportation, taking the stairs, or working in the yard.
Efforts to increase the availability and affordability of fresh, healthy foods will include:
- Addressing the underlying causes – i.e. food desert mitigation strategies,
- Reducing barriers to making healthy eating decisions, and
- Encouraging connections between existing infrastructure, such as farms and schools, to help create better community access to healthy foods.
Improving the health and wellness of Spartanburg County through increased physical activity will require efforts that:
- Remove barriers to engaging in physical activity
- Create more opportunities for active transportation and physical activity, and
- Encourage the use of existing active transportation infrastructure and physical activity resources.
GrantWatch ID#: 177169
Grants vary, with an average size of $70,000.
The Foundation provides multi-year funding for these grants.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
Mary Black Foundation
349 East Main Street, Suite 100
Spartanburg, SC 29302
USA: South Carolina: Spartanburg County