Foundation / Corporation
Mary Black Foundation
02/01/18 5:00 PM
Grants averaging $20,000 to Spartanburg County, South Carolina nonprofit organizations and governmental agencies for activities that promote health for local residents. Funding is intended for health-related initiatives that fall outside of early childhood development and healthy eating - active living priority areas. The CHF represents 10 to 20% of the Foundation's total grantmaking.
Organizations are more likely to receive funding from the Foundation if they can demonstrate the following during the grant review process:
- A board of directors that is actively involved in strategic governance, fundraising, and giving;
- A board and staff are representative of our diverse community in Spartanburg County;
- Staff who are qualified through training and experience;
- Implementation of a strategic plan that includes measurable objectives;
- Use of a data management or tracking system that allows the organization to measure its outcomes;
- The ability to use outcomes data to measure progress toward strategic goals and improve programs;
- A focus on reducing health disparities; and
- A collaborative spirit of working with other organizations in the community.
GrantWatch ID#: 177171
The average size grant funded through the Community Health Fund is $20,000.
Generally, grants awarded through the Community Health Fund are one-year grants only.
In order to receive funding from the Mary Black Foundation, an organization must be a current 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, as classified by the IRS, or a governmental agency serving Spartanburg County.
The Foundation would prefer to fund direct costs, including realistic projections of overhead costs. However, when the Foundation commissions a substantial research project requiring the use of significant institutional infrastructure or resources (e.g., space, computer technology, laboratories or sophisticated equipment, library or accounting services), the Foundation may provide up to five percent of the total direct costs for the reimbursement of direct costs (i.e., institutional administrative support expenses).
The Mary Black Foundation provides funding to nonprofit organizations for the following:
- General Operating Support: To cover day-to-day activities and ongoing expenses.
- Programs and Services: Activities directly targeting individuals to achieve specific results.
- Policies and Places: Activities to change or modify policies or to create new or improved places that increase opportunities for the residents of Spartanburg County.
- Planning and Capacity Building: To plan for or study future projects or to implement efforts that improve the capacity of the organization to achieve results.
The Mary Black Foundation generally does not fund:
- Activities that are discriminatory or organizations engaged in discriminatory practices, including, but not limited to, written or informal policies and procedures regarding staff and/or volunteer requirements, program content, or participant eligibility that are discriminatory.
- Direct grants or scholarships (including tuition assistance) for individuals;
- Grants that further political or religious activities;
- Medical, scientific, or academic research;
- Vans or buses used to transport people;
- Activities and/or programs that duplicate efforts that are, have been, or should be offered at local hospitals;
- Activities, projects, or programs that will have been completed before funding becomes available;
- Endowments or other reserve funds or the payment of debt;
- Fundraising events, celebrations, or dinners; or
- Individual schools unless the project is district or county-wide and is supported by the superintendent(s).
Applications for the Community Health Fund are only accepted once annually. The next deadline for CHF applications will be February 1, 2018.
Applicants will be notified of receipt of the application via email. If you do not receive an email confirmation, please contact Amy Page.
The review process takes approximately 75 days. You will be contacted as soon as a decision is reached. Once a grant is approved, generally, grant funds are available within 15 – 30 days.
About the Community Health Fund Grant:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
For questions, contact Amy Page at email@example.com or call 864-573-9500.
Mary Black Foundation
349 East Main Street, Suite 100
Spartanburg, SC 29302
USA: South Carolina: Spartanburg County