Foundation / Corporation
02/25/18 5:00 PM CST
Grants of up to $30,000 to USA nonprofits and IHEs to produce and present projects and programs such as publications, exhibitions, installations, films, new media projects, lectures and conferences that highlight the field of architecture. Funding is intended to provide critical support at key points in the development of a project or career.
Projects must have clearly defined goals, work plans, budgets, and production and dissemination plans. Grantees will be funded to cover expenses necessary to take the production from the conceptualization stage to realization and through to public presentation.
The Foundation's priorities for organizations are to:
- Assist with the production and presentation of significant programs about architecture and the designed environment in order to promote dialogue, raise awareness, and develop new and wider audiences
- Support them in their effort to take risks in programming and create opportunities for experimentation
- Recognize the vital role they play in providing individuals with a public forum in which to present their work
- Help them to realize projects that would otherwise not be possible without our support.
Criteria for Evaluation:
- Originality: the project demonstrates an innovative, challenging idea; critical, independent thinking; advanced scholarship; a new or experimental approach
- Potential for impact: the project makes a meaningful contribution to discourse and/or to the field; expands knowledge; is a catalyst for future inquiry; raises awareness of an understudied issue; promotes diversity in subject matter, participants, and audience
- Feasibility: the project has clear and realistic goals, timeframe, work plan, and budget
- Capacity: applicant possesses strong qualifications and/or knowledge; demonstrates ability to carry out the project successfully; has access to necessary resources outside of the grant request.
GrantWatch ID#: 177777
Production and Presentation Grants to organizations do not exceed $30,000 and are likely to be less.
Production and Presentation Grants must be completed within two years of the project start date. Organizations with eligible projects are invited to apply for funding consideration for projects that begin after September 15, 2018.
- Graham Foundation grants focus on organizations in the United States, however, a small percentage of international grants are awarded. Please note that final projects must be disseminated in English.
- 501(c)(3) tax exempt organizations are eligible for funding. Under some circumstances Graham will make grants to other entities when there is clear evidence that the public interest will be served, for example, in the case of a publisher or an emerging organization that does not yet have tax exempt status.
- An organization or academic department/unit may only apply for one grant per year. (In the case of large institutions with multiple departments, a subsidiary department/unit may apply for one grant per year. For example, an academic department/unit at a university may apply for one grant per year.)
- Applicants who have received prior Graham Foundation support must have satisfied all grant requirements before applying again.
Applications for Publication Support: Unless the applicant is a publisher, an organization applying for publication support should have a committed publisher for the work, that is, a publisher with whom the applicant has a contractual agreement to publish the completed project.
- General operating expenses
- Capital projects
- Scholarship aid or work in pursuit of an academic degree
- Work focused on K-12 curriculum or learning and/or intended for K-12 audiences
- Debt or expenses incurred prior to the date of grant request
Application available online: January 9, 2018
Application deadline: February 25, 2018, 5:00 PM CST
Grant decision notification: July 2018
Earliest project start date: September 15, 2018
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal:
4 West Burton Place
Chicago, Illinois 60610
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming