Canada Council for the Arts
Grants of up to $20,000 to USA, Canada, and International theater organizations and book publishers for the translation of Canadian dramatic or literary works for international publication or presentation. Applicants must be registered in the online portal at least 30 days prior to applying.
- Translation and surtitling of Canadian-authored dramatic work into another language for foreign presentation
- Translation of Canadian-authored literary work into a foreign language and related promotional activities
- Costs related to translation and surtitling, based on the Canada Council’s rates
- In addition, for literary translations, promotional expenses for the translated book
These are the amounts you can request towards translation and surtitling.
- Literature projects: Costs may be up to 50% of the translator’s fee.
- Theater projects: Applicants should propose total anticipated costs for translation of scripts or surtitles.
GrantWatch ID#: 177981
Grants are up to $20,000 for each translation. You can receive grants for up to 2 translations per year (March 1 – February 28/29).
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- Theater and multidisciplinary groups and collectives
- Theater companies and dramaturgical organizations
- Multidisciplinary organizations
- International book publishers and theater organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Theater organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants can apply to this component. Other organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants cannot apply.
You can’t apply for activities that occur before your departure date or those that receive funding from another Canada Council program.
In addition to the criteria set out in the applicant profiles, the following activities are not eligible for grants from the Canada Council:
- Activities proposed by someone under 18 years old
- Activities that are illegal according to the Criminal Code of Canada
-Artistic activities that are led by non-professionals
- Activities that are carried out to satisfy the course requirements of an educational institution
- Activities that directly support the delivery of an educational program or course
- Activities that are funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) (unless applying to a component of Creating, Knowing and Sharing: The Arts and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples)
- Self-publishing or author-subsidized publishing of literary works (unless applying to a component of Creating, Knowing and Sharing: The Arts and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples)
- Activities carried out by organizations that have not paid, or do not pay, fees or royalties to artists according the standards of the arts practice or sector
- Fundraising activities
- Capital expenditures, unless explicitly eligible
- Contests and competitions (including prizes and awards)
- Contributions to endowment funds
You may apply at any time before you complete the translation.
Notification of results – applications received by:
- 20 June 2018 will receive results in October 2018
- 17 October 2018 will receive results in February 2019
- 16 January 2019 will receive results in April 2019
If you have not already done so, you must register in the portal at least 30 days before you want to apply.
You are encouraged to speak with a Canada Council Program Officer before submitting an application to this component for the first time.
Payment will be provided upon the completion and submission of a final copy of the translated work to the Canada Council.
Individuals who are Deaf or who have disabilities, including those living with mental illness, and require accommodation at any stage of the application process may be eligible for additional assistance:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Arts Abroad Program Officer:
1-800-263-5588, ext. 4074
Canada Council for the Arts
150 Elgin St
P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa, ON Canada
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.