Foundation / Corporation
Martha-Ellen Tye Foundation
Grants starting at $1,000 to Marshall County, Iowa nonprofit organizations, schools, and local units of government for community benefit activities. Applicants should contact Foundation staff prior to application submittal. Focus areas include arts, culture, education, human services, and community betterment in Marshalltown and the surrounding county area. Both outright grants and matching grants are offered.
Funding for the following types of requests are eligible:
- Program needs, including provision of direct services
- Startup or expansion of organizations and programs
- Construction and renovation projects
- Support of specific programs
- Equipment and materials
Support for areas of need that do not readily fall into this specific focus may also be considered.
The Foundation prefers to support initiatives that enable recipient organizations to build their own capacities to produce significant, measurable change.
The Martha-Ellen Tye Foundation, in collaboration with Marshalltown leaders and organizations, will focus its resources to attract, develop and retain people who will help build and sustain an innovative, civic-minded, healthy, caring community.
GrantWatch ID#: 179084
Grants start at $1,000, though grant awards differ significantly. Many are in the $5,000 to $10,000 range. Multi-year grants (for capital projects) range in size from $50,000 to $250,000.
Multi-year grants are normally awarded for capital projects.
The major geographic focus for grant-making is Marshalltown, Iowa and surrounding Marshall County.
The Foundation does not consider support for:
- Ongoing operating needs unless they are an essential part of a specific new or expanded program proposed for funding
- Annual campaigns
- Requests for less than $1,000
- Faith-based programming or purposes
- Organizations without IRS determined status as 501(c)(3), except for units of government (i.e. schools, city and county governments)
- Organizations that discriminate directly or indirectly against individuals or groups based on religious beliefs, race, gender, ethnic or national origin, or sexual orientation.
Contact Executive Director Karn Gregoire to discuss your proposal before submittal.
The Foundation requests grant proposals four times during the year. Postmark deadlines are March 1, June 1, September 1, and December 1. When those dates fall on a Saturday or Sunday, deadlines are moved to the following Monday. Applicants will be notified of funding within one month of each deadline.
Challenge grants usually require private sector contributions only and do not generally provide for gifts-in-kind counting toward fulfillment of the challenge. Depending upon the total amount of funding needed and the size of the grant awarded, an organization may be asked to raise from one to three times the amount of the challenge grant.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Karn Gregoire, Executive Director
Submit your proposal by mail to:
Martha-Ellen Tye Foundation
16 E. Main, Suite 260
Marshalltown, Iowa 50158
USA: Iowa: Marshalltown and surrounding Marshall County