Foundation / Corporation
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cultural Services of the French Embassy - Book Department and FACE (French American Cultural Exchange) and Institut Francais
Grants and awards to USA publishers, translators, authors, and literary agents for the translation and subsequent publication of French literary works for English-speaking audiences. Funding will be awarded for both fiction and nonfiction works, as well as for poetry, digital books, and comic books.
The Book Department of the Cultural Services of the French Embassy works with FACE (French American Cultural Exchange), the Institut français and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to promote French and Francophone literature and to encourage English translations of French fiction and non-fiction. It oversees three bi-annual Translation Assistance Programs concerning translations from French into English of works that have not yet been published in the United States. All these grants are awarded to fiction and non fiction translations (including comic books, poetry and digital books).
The Translation Assistance Programs offers the following grants and awards:
1) The French Voices Award honors both translators and American publishers for English translations of works that have been published in France in the last six years. Award recipients are selected by a literary committee. Each book receives a $6,000 award.
Furthermore, the French Voices Committee will now choose for each year a Grand Prize Winner. The winner will receive $10,000 in total ($6,000 to cover the preface and the publishing costs and a $4,000 non-negotiable bonus to be allocated to the translator; and respectively $7,000 and $3,000 in case of a comic book or picture book). The French author of the translated book will also be awarded the opportunity to do a book tour in the US.
2) The Hemingway Grant allows publishers to receive financial help for the translation and publication of a French work into English. Grant beneficiaries are selected by the Book Department of the French Embassy in the United States. Grants awarded for each work range from $500 to $3,000.
3) The Acquisition of Rights Program helps American publishers offset the cost of acquiring the rights to French works. Grant beneficiaries are selected by the Institut français in Paris. The amount awarded cannot exceed the amount of the advance paid to the French publisher for the acquisition of rights and varies from 500 to 7,000 Euros.
GrantWatch ID#: 179274
- French Voices Award: $6,000
- French Voices Award Grand Prize: $10,000
- Hemingway Grant: $500 - $3,000
- Acquisition of Rights: 500 - 7,000 Euros
The expected date of printing is no sooner than September 2019.
If the French book was published before 2011:
- Your application will be considered for a Hemingway Grant.
- American publishers can submit the application prior to signing a contract with the French publisher.
- Only American publishers may apply.
If the French book was published in the last six years (2011 or later):
- Your application will be considered for a French Voices Award.
- It may also be considered within the Hemingway Grant program, for which no additional procedure on your part is necessary.
- Authors, agents, translators, and French and American publishers may apply for the French Voices Award.
Acquisition of Rights program:
- You can apply for this grant alone or in addition to the French Voices or Hemingway Grant program. If you are interested in applying for this grant, please be sure to specify it when prompted.
- Only projects under contract are eligible for the Acquisition of Rights program.
- Only American publishers may apply.
- You may not apply if the French Publisher has already received payment for the advance specified in the acquisition of rights contract.
Submissions of works by authors who have already received a French Voices grant will not be considered for the French Voices Awards, but will be taken into consideration for the Hemingway Grant.
For translators’ submissions, preference will be given to authors who have never been published in English.
The deadline for the current session is December 15, 2018.
Applicants should apply directly online to all three programs: The French Voices Award, the Hemingway Grant and the Acquisition of Rights program.
- French Voices Awards will be announced twice a year on the website frenchculture.org and presented at a prestigious ceremony.
- Acquisition of Rights: Grantees will be notified by email.
- Hemingway Grant: Selected applicants will receive an email requesting documents, to be sent within two weeks, in order to receive the grant payment. If a publisher doesn’t send the documents within this time frame, the grant will be allocated to another project.
Together with the application and required documents, applicants must mail three copies of the book in French (one of which may be a digital version of the book and can be emailed to the Cultural Services of the French Embassy - Translation Assistance Programs).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: http://face-foundation.org/books-applications/apply/
Cultural Services of the French Embassy
Translation Assistance Programs
972 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10075
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming