Mississippi Arts Commission (MAC)
03/01/18 Postmarked for mailed applications
Fellowships of up to $5,000 to Mississippi professional artists to support and honor artists who display the ability to create outstanding work in their field. Funding is intended to support artists in select fields in the areas of folk, literary, medial, performing, and visual and design arts.
The fellowships are awards based on merit. While applicants are not required to submit information on how they might use the funds, MAC expects the recipients to dedicate the funds towards expanding their ability to create new work.
Under MAC's current plan, certain artistic disciplines alternate every other year. For this coming fiscal year (July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019) MAC will be accepting applications in the following categories on March 1, 2017:
- Folk Arts: Traditional, community-based visual art forms such as basketmaking, woodcarving and quilting
- Literary Arts: Fiction and poetry
- Media Arts: Film and video
- Performing Arts: Music composition, choreography or interdisciplinary arts
- Visual and Design Arts: Includes painting, sculpture, works on paper, photography, architectural design, fashion design, graphic design, and landscape architecture
GrantWatch ID#: 179374
Up to $5,000
Funding is for the period of July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.
You may apply for an Artist Fellowship if you are a professional artist producing work of high artistic quality. Individuals are considered to be at the professional level if they:
- Earn at least part of their annual income in their artistic disciplines,
- Consider their artistic endeavors as a career,
- Maintain a high level of artistic quality, and
- Make a significant time investment in their artistic disciplines through practice, performance, and production.
In addition, the applicant must be:
- More than 18 years of age;
- Not a full-time student; and
- A permanent, legal resident of Mississippi at the time of application and throughout the grant period. Applicants may be required to show proof of residence (such as driver's license, proof of domicile, homestead, utility bills).
Fellowship funds may not be used to support academic research or study toward an academic or professional degree.
Please Note: Visual and Literary artists must submit their applications through eGRANT system.
Please submit Artist Fellowship applications no earlier than 30 days prior to the deadline. Applications received prior to this date will be returned.
- January 15, 2018 – Draft Application Deadline (if submitting a draft)
- March 1, 2018 – Artist Fellowship application deadline
- April 2018 – Review of applications by the grant panel (the specific panel date will be available by late March. Applicants are allowed to attend panels.)
- June 2018 – MAC Board meets and makes final funding decisions on all applications
- July 2, 2018 – Applicants are notified whether their application was funded or not. No information on the grants (including whether or not an applicant will be receiving an award or the amount of the award) will be available from MAC prior to this date.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply online: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=missarts
To send the application by mail:
Mississippi Arts Commission
501 North West Street
Suite 1101A, Woolfolk Building
Jackson, MS 39201
Maria Zeringue - Folk Arts
Melody Moody Thortis - Literary Arts, Media Arts
Charlotte Smelser - Performing Arts
Turry Flucker - Visual and Design Arts