Foundation / Corporation
03/29/19 - School Grant Program and Advancing Excellence in School Nursing Awards applicants only; Supportive Services Health Grant applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Grants and awards to Pennsylvania and West Virginia K-12 schools and school nurses for health-related projects, resources, or professional development. Funding is intended to provide support and resources that empower schools to take greater strides in improving child health and wellness.
Types of Funding:
- School Grant Program
- Advancing Excellence in School Nursing Awards
- Supportive Services Health Grants: These include Child Health and Wellness Grants, and Equipment and Supplies Challenge Grants
Opportunities the Foundation seeks to fund include:
- Professional development programs that impart timely knowledge and know-how that school leaders and others need to take student wellness efforts to the next level.
- School recognition initiatives that highlight and acknowledge schools for making lasting, systemic change. Exploring incentives and formal recognition opportunities to foster impetus among schools to increase and deepen their efforts.
- Resources and tools that can help schools implement strategies to improve children's health.
- Publication and dissemination of research to inform schools about the effectiveness and impact of our work and best practices.
- Bullying Prevention: Research is still developing that helps us to better understand and prevent bullying before it starts. Bullying can result in physical injuries, social and emotional difficulties, and academic problems. The harmful effects of bullying are frequently felt by others, including friends and families, and can hurt the overall health and safety of schools, neighborhoods, and society.
- Child Injury Prevention: The public health approach for reducing childhood injuries includes identifying the magnitude of the problem through data collection, analysis, identifying risk, and protective factors. In addition, on the basis of this information, schools can collect their own data, develop, implement, and promote widespread adoption of these practices and policies.
- Environmental Health: Factors that influence the physical environment include the school building and surrounding areas, any biological or chemical agents that are detrimental to health, and physical conditions such as temperature, air quality, safe routes to schools, noise and lighting, and fresh drinking water. A healthy environment includes the physical, emotional, and social conditions that affect the well-being of students.
- Healthy Eating and Physical Activity: Engaging children and adolescents in healthy eating and regular physical activity can lower their risk for obesity and related chronic diseases. The dietary and physical activity behaviors of children and adolescents are influenced by many sectors of society, including families, communities, schools, and health care providers.
- School-Based Health: Schools continue to experience increasing demands related to student health issues. The student health issues can be acute or chronic and have increasing complexity. Challenges exist for addressing the increasing demand for health services in schools. Schools are encouraged to submit proposals for strategies that will enhance its capacity and/or school nurses to provide comprehensive services to the students of their districts.
Under the category of Supportive Services Health Grants, Child Health and Wellness Grants provide funding for items such as personal care/hygiene, eyeglasses, supplemental clothing/undergarments, healthy and nutritious food items, and winter clothing. For Equipment and Supplies Challenge Grants, items such as vision screeners, digital scales, new cots, blood pressure monitor, glucose meters, stethoscopes, and AED machines are all examples of acceptable expenses.
GrantWatch ID#: 179540
- School Grant Program - Schools in West Virginia and Pennsylvania are eligible for grants up to $7,500.
- Advancing Excellence in School Nursing awards recipients will receive $1,500 to support professional development or health-related supplies or equipment for their school and will be recognized widely through coordinated press releases and social media on National School Nurse Day.
Supportive Services Health Grants :
- Child Health and Wellness Grants: Provide up to $1,000
- Equipment and Supplies Challenge Grant: Match of up to $2,500 for the purchase of necessary items.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Pennsylvania: Central, Northeast, and Western Pennsylvania; West Virginia