Foundation / Corporation
Alabama Power Foundation
10/19/18 5:00 PM CST
Grants to Southern Alabama organizations for programs and projects that benefit underserved communities. Funding is intended to support proposals that focus on the areas of environment, arts and culture, education, health and human services, and community life.
Below is a list of general questions to help you determine if your organization is a candidate for an Alabama Power Foundation grant:
- Does the project address a need in at least one of the following areas: education, community life, health and human services, arts and culture or the environment?
- Could the project lead to permanent, enduring improvements in a community or the state?
- Will a diverse group collaborate on the project to achieve common goals?
- Can the program or idea be duplicated in other communities?
- Does the submitting organization clearly demonstrate sound fiscal management and accountability?
- Could the organization attract multiple sources of support for the project?
- Does the project address underserved segments of the population, such as racial or ethnic minorities, the impoverished and underprivileged or communities with fewer opportunities?
GrantWatch ID#: 179759
Grants will be considered for two amount categories: up to $49,999 and starting at $50,000.
Applicants must have a valid tax-id number.
The Foundation will not support the following:
- Groups acting on behalf of individuals
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, disability or gender
- Churches or other religious organizations, except when they are conducting secular programs that will have broad public impact
- Projects that affect communities outside of Alabama Power’s service territory (see: https://www.alabamapower.com/our-company/how-we-operate/background.html)
- Fraternal, athletic and veterans programs, except in cases where the programs will have a broad public benefit or help disadvantaged individuals
- Organizations already receiving multi-year support from the Foundation. Such organizations are required to wait at least one year after the current funding ends.
- Primary and secondary private schools
- Political organizations, parties or causes
Click on the link in the Supporting Documents section below to download a sample application.
Grants are reviewed quarterly. Please note that, regardless of the amount requested, there is only one deadline per quarter. Those deadlines and meeting dates are listed below.
Quarterly Application Deadlines:
First quarter application deadline: Feb. 2, 2018 – 5:00 PM CST
Second quarter application deadline: Apr. 13, 2018 – 5:00 PM CST
Third quarter application deadline: July 27, 2018 – 5:00 PM CST
Fourth quarter application deadline: Oct. 19, 2018 – 5:00 PM CST
Meeting Schedule for $50,000 or more:
First quarter: March 19, 2018
Second quarter: June 18, 2018
Third quarter: Sept. 17, 2018
Fourth quarter: Dec. 13, 2018
Meeting Schedule for $49,999 or less:
First quarter: March 5, 2018
Second quarter: June 11, 2018
Third quarter: Sept. 10, 2018
Fourth quarter: Dec. 3, 2018
*All meeting dates are subject to change.
If you have not heard from the Foundation within 10 weeks of when they acknowledged receipt of your grant request, please contact the Charitable Giving office at the phone number listed in the Contact Information section below.
You will be notified within 7-14 business days of a meeting about the status of your grant request.
*Please note that all communication must be addressed to the Alabama Power Foundation, as it is a separate entity from Alabama Power Company.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Click here to apply online: https://www.grantrequest.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fapplication.aspx%3fSA%3dSNA%26FID%3d35016%26sid%3d5841&SA=SNA&FID=35016&sid=5841
If you are in need of additional assistance, please contact the Charitable Giving office at 205-257-2508.
Hallie Bradley, Manager of Community Initiatives
USA: Alabama: The Southern two-thirds of Alabama