1. Organizational Eligibility
Applicants must identify as an Arts Organization or a Cultural Organization, and have been in existence for more than 3 years:
- Arts Organizations: Primary mission and purpose must be the arts*
- Cultural Organizations: Primary mission and purpose must be cultural*
* For definitions of the terms “arts” and “cultural,” see the Glossary listed in Supporting Documents below.
2. Type of Entity - Applicants must be legally organized as one of the following types of organizations:
- Organization that is incorporated in Iowa under the Iowa Nonprofit Corporation Act and holds federal 501(c)3 tax-exempt status.
- Arts or cultural department or division of a municipal government that is also incorporated in Iowa under the Iowa Nonprofit Corporation Act (does not include libraries, parks or recreation departments).
3. Operational Standards
- Organization has operating expenses, exclusive of Iowa Arts Council/Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs general operating support, of $10,000 to $150,000 per year.
- Organization operates year-round on a continuous basis for 12 months of the year. Organization's facilities, programs and services are available to Iowans at least 1,040 hours per year.
- Organization has a minimum of one dedicated staff or volunteer position that works for the organization year round and is responsible for oversight and management of the organization.
- Organization has been in existence since May 1, 2016.
- Organization located in a border community may be eligible under the Border State Policy.
4. Accessibility- Americans with Disabilities Act
Organization must demonstrate that it is in compliance or actively working to be in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). These laws prohibit discrimination against individuals with physical and/or mental disabilities. Both programmatic and structural accessibility must be addressed.
5. Strategic Plan
Organization must have a current multi-year strategic plan or be in the process of renewing an existing plan. Strategic plan is defined as a document developed and used by the organization to align its organization and budget structure with organizational priorities, mission, goals and objectives.
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs grantees with an outstanding final report or placement on a department funding moratorium
- Iowa Arts Council administered grantees who have already received a grant for the current application funding period
- Organization that uses a fiscal agent or the Iowa nonprofit or federal tax-exempt status of another organization
- For-profit corporation or business, religious organization, political party or national service/professional organization
- Auditorium, convention center or similar type of venue
- Educational institution, organization or pre-K through 12 school, whose primary orientation, mission and purpose is education and the awarding of academic credits
Ineligible Use of Funds:
- Budget shortfalls
- Capital expenditures, including equipment over a total of $5,000 per unit
- Deficit or debt reduction
- Donations or contributions
- Expenses incurred prior to or after the funding period
- Foreign travel
- Fundraising or benefit
- Lobbying activity
- Prizes and awards
- Religious activity