Foundation / Corporation
The Amphion Foundation
09/15/17 11:59 PM ET
Grants generally ranging from $1,000 to $7,500 to USA, Canada, and International nonprofit performing ensembles for support of their contributions to contemporary concert music. Chamber ensembles (20 performers or less) may apply for general operating support grants. Large organizations such as orchestras and opera companies, other than contemporary music specialists, are eligible to apply only for project support. In general, special projects relating to a broad spectrum of contemporary music will be viewed more favorably than those relating to a single work or a single composer.
Criteria - The following criteria will be applied in evaluating grant proposals:
- History of high-quality performances of, or otherwise substantially fostering the public knowledge and appreciation of, contemporary concert music
- The significant contributions the organization has made in the past and those it is likely to make in the future
- The responsibility and effectiveness of management.
GrantWatch ID#: 180259
For smaller organizations, grants range from $1,000 to $5,000; for larger institutions, awards average from $3,000 to $7,500, although larger grants may be awarded to larger performing organizations with an extraordinary commitment to contemporary concert music or a particularly ambitious project.
Project support will be given only for a project that begins in the current season. Thus, for the 2017 grant round, support will only be given to projects that begin between September 2017 and August 2018. The Foundation will consider projects that fall outside of the period of support under extraordinary circumstances. Please contact the Grants Manager for further information.
- Non-profit performing and presenting organizations, in addition to non-profit service organizations, throughout the United States and abroad, are eligible to receive grants from the Foundation.
- Organizations without non-profit status may seek support with the sponsorship of a non-profit organization with 501(c)(3) status.
- Applications may be submitted by publicly supported non-profit performing ensembles, presenters and music service organizations that have a history of substantial commitment to contemporary concert music at a high level of excellence.
- Educational institutions may apply for projects that involve professional musicians (including faculty). Activities including student ensembles are generally not eligible for support. Performances that are primarily by professional musicians are eligible even if some students also participate.
- Chamber ensembles (those comprised of under 20 performers), service organizations and presenters are eligible to apply for general operating support. Large organizations such as orchestras and opera companies, other than contemporary music specialists, are eligible to apply only for project support.
- Except for certain choral groups, only professional choral ensembles may apply. Proposals are accepted from amateur choral ensembles and youth choirs performing contemporary classical music at an exceptionally high artistic level. For further information, please contact the Grants Manager.
- Organizations must have been in existence for at least two years.
- Performing ensembles, presenters, or organizations that are applying for support for performances must have presented two full seasons prior to the season for which support is requested, except for special projects of extraordinary significance. In that case, one must contact the Grants Manager for approval prior to beginning an application.
- Applications from organizations with a budget of over $10 million will be considered only for special project support.
- Please note that, in general, the grant program does not support jazz music
The Foundation does not accept proposals for:
- Commissions to composers
- Endowment funding
- Audio or audio-visual recordings of any kind
- Music publishing projects
- Projects that are part of the curriculum of an educational institution
- Composition competitions
The spring deadline is Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 11:59 P.M. Eastern Time for performing ensembles. Notification will be sent by the end of July 2017.
The fall deadline for all other types of applicants (i.e. Education/Residency, Festival, Library/Archive, Presenter, Radio/TV, and Music Service Organizations) is Friday, September 15 at 11:59 P.M. Eastern Time. The online application system will open in mid-July, approximately eight weeks prior to the deadline. Notification for the fall program will be sent by the end of January, 2018.
Grant FAQ: https://amphionfoundation.org/faq
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Application Portal: https://amphionfoundation.org/user/register
Address questions to the Grants Manager prior to the time of application:
Hard copies of scores should be addressed to:
The Amphion Foundation, Inc.
254 West 31st Street, 15th floor
New York, NY 10001
Attn: Grants Manager
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.