Arts Nova Scotia
10/15/18 4:30 PM Receipt or Postmarked by Date
Grants of up to $3,000, grants of up to $5,000, and grants of up to $50,000 to Nova Scotia nonprofit organizations and ad hoc professional artist groups for the production, presentation, or commissioning of new works. Funding is also available to organizations for professional development activities. The goal of this program is to support artistic development within the province.
Arts Nova Scotia’s Grants to Organizations and Small Groups program supports projects by Nova Scotia professional arts organizations in the creation, production and dissemination of vibrant, interesting artistic work. The program also seeks to strengthen artistic or administrative capacity within arts organizations by developing skills and enriching knowledge.
Three Application Categories:
Production and Presentation Grants:
- Assist professional arts groups and organizations with the production or presentation of a specific work for the public
- Production and presentation projects must show multiple revenue streams
- Assist professional arts groups and organizations to commission artists outside the organization to create new work
Professional Development Grants:
- Assist professional arts groups and organizations to strengthen the artistic or administrative capacity of the organization and/or the artistic communities with which they work
- Professional development projects should show a financial contribution from the applicant
Eligible project costs may include, but are not limited to:
- Artist’s fees
- Fees for design, production and technical personnel and other production expenses
- Venue and equipment rental essential to the project
- Administration and professional fees
- Travel costs directly related to the project
- Promotion and publicity
- The value of in-kind contributions (goods or services provided to the company without cost or at a discount) can be included in the revenues and expenses if they are for goods and/or services which are essential to the project. Time contributed by volunteers, community promotional listings and other such services normally provided to nonprofit organizations free of charge should not be included
GrantWatch ID#: 180277
- Production and Presentation Grants: $15,000 maximum
- Commissioning Grants: $5,000 maximum
- Professional Development Grants: $3,000 maximum
Applications will be accepted from nonprofit societies or nonprofit cooperatives registered with the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stock Companies or ad hoc groups of professional artists.
Organizations eligible to apply for project grants include:
- Professional arts organizations that present the work of professional artists or make it possible for professional artists to produce and present work;
- Organizations that do not have an arts focus, but would like to undertake a project that engages only professional artists or professional arts organizations;
- Ad hoc groups. Arts Nova Scotia defines an ad hoc group as a group of professional artists, the majority of whom reside in Nova Scotia, formed for the specific purpose of creating a unique work. Ad hoc groups must include the social insurance number of the signatory applicant who will accept the T4A slip on the grant for taxable income purposes.
Eligibility to apply does not guarantee funding.
- This program does not provide financial support to the cultural industries (e.g. commercial film and video production, music videos, recording, publishing, commercial design, or production crafts).
- Applications received from schools or educational institutions (with the exception of exhibitions at university art galleries) are not eligible. Applications for fundraisers or promotional events are not eligible.
- Activities that are eligible for support under the Culture and Heritage Development Division’s Cultural and Youth Activities program are not eligible under this program.
- Organizations that receive annual operating funding any Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage program may submit applications to the Grants to Organizations and Small Groups Program only if the proposed activity is a special one-time project or a pilot project. Activities that enhance or add to on-going or core programs are not eligible.
- Organizations that receive operating funding from Arts Nova Scotia’s Operating Grant for Arts Organizations program should check that program’s guidelines for eligibility limitations to the Organizations and Small Groups program.
Ineligible expenses include:
- The capital cost of purchase of buildings or property, construction or renovation, as well as equipment, machinery, computers or anything that that can be repurposed for general use
- The costs of projects already funded through Arts Nova Scotia or the Government of Nova Scotia
- Costs relating to the development or maintenance of promotional websites
- Fundraising events are not eligible for support
- There will be no retroactive funding to projects that start prior to the deadline
Eligibility of expenses not listed above should be discussed with the program officer.
Projects must not begin before the application deadline.
Bi-Annual Application Deadlines: March 15 and October 15
Applicants may make one application per category per deadline.
Applications can be delivered by hand, courier or sent by regular mail but in all cases, must be either received in the Arts Nova Scotia office by 4:30 PM on the deadline date or be postmarked no later than the deadline date.
If a deadline falls on a statutory holiday or weekend, the deadline will be extended until the next working day.
Arts Nova Scotia does not accept faxed, e-mailed, late, or incomplete applications.
Unsuccessful applicants may resubmit eligible projects to the next grant deadline.
The results of the Peer Assessment Committee meetings are communicated to applicants via notification letters sent by Canada Post eight to ten weeks after the deadline date. Notification letters are sent to all applicants, without exception.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Send completed application form in person/courier:
Arts Nova Scotia
1741 Brunswick Street, 3rd Floor
Halifax, NS B3J 3X8
By regular mail:
Arts Nova Scotia
PO Box 456
Halifax, NS B3J 2R5
Canada: Nova Scotia