West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE)
05/16/19 12:00 PM
Award to a West Virginia full-time classroom teacher to recognize excellence in Pre-K to 12 education. The purpose of this award program is to honor outstanding teachers and invite them into a network of other innovative and inspirational educators.
Each year the State of West Virginia identifies an outstanding teacher to be the West Virginia Teacher of the Year and to be the state nominee for National Teacher of the Year Program.
The intent of the Teacher of the Year program is to help communicate the excellence of teaching to the public. The selected teacher will be requested to maintain a relationship with the West Virginia Department of Education for one year. During that time, the teacher will have the opportunity to give lectures, provide consultations, and participate in other activities with the department. It is expected that the selected teacher will be released from teaching responsibility by the local board of education on these occasions, but will continue as an employee of the school and the county school district. The West Virginia Department of Education will provide travel and lodging expenses for activities required of the West Virginia Teacher of the Year.
It is anticipated that the other county nominees, who have been selected at the county level, will serve as educational resources for local education agencies.
The teacher should:
- Inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn
- Have the respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues
- Play an active and useful role in the community as well as in the school
- Be poised, articulate, and possess the energy to withstand a taxing schedule
GrantWatch ID#: 180664
The selected teacher will be requested to maintain a relationship with the West Virginia Department of Education for one year.
The candidate should be an exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable, and skilled teacher in any state-approved or accredited school pre-kindergarten through grade twelve, who is planning to continue in an active teaching status the following year of application. (Supervisory and administrative responsibilities should be of secondary consideration). This opportunity is open to early childhood, middle, high, and adolescent level teachers of all subject areas.
The teacher must:
- hold professional certification in area(s) of assignment
- be a current full-time classroom teacher as defined by a teaching contract
- have completed the past three years as a full-time classroom teacher in West Virginia
- have verification of eligibility and consent to participate
In the event that you currently have or have had approved leave in the past three years which did not constitute a break in service, you are eligible to apply.
County nominations of teachers intending to retire at the end of the same school year in which they were nominated will be recognized at the state level, but they are not eligible to be named the West Virginia Teacher of the Year or a finalist.
- Deadline for applications: May 16, 2019 at 12:00 PM
- The panel reviews applications and selects finalists: June 10, 2019
- Panel interviews finalist: June 24, 2019
- The announcement of 2020 West Virginia Teacher of the Year at the Gala: September 11, 2019
Application process: https://wvde.us/wv-teacher-of-the-year-application/selection-process
Application instructions: https://wvde.us/wv-teacher-of-the-year-application/application/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Application form: https://wvde.us/wv-teacher-of-the-year-application/application
A printable version of this form, for reference only, can be found below. This must not be submitted.
Jessica Hall, Program Coordinator
Phone: (304) 558-2699
Deborah Halstead, Receptionist/Executive Secretary
Phone: (304) 558-2699
West Virginia Department of Education
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305
USA: West Virginia