Foundation / Corporation
Community Foundation San Luis Obispo County (SLOCCF)
03/29/19 12:00 AM PST
Grants of up to $5,000 to California nonprofits in San Luis Obispo County to provide assistance to individuals to overcome a short-term barrier to self-sufficiency. Funding is intended to remove financial barriers to success for individuals who are trying to help themselves.
Grants from the “Opportunity Fund” are intended to support individuals striving for self-sufficiency and who are in need of transitional assistance to overcome a short-term or one-time barrier. Of particular interest are individuals who are in transition, e.g. foster youth exiting the system, women leaving domestic violence shelters, families at risk of homelessness, individuals completing rehabilitation, re-entry into the workforce. One-year grants will be provided to local human service providers who currently work with populations striving for self-sufficiency and have the capacity to assess and administer an assistance fund.
- One-time assistance that will make a big difference in removing a barrier or hurdle to self-sufficiency, targeted to individuals who have demonstrated their attempt to help themselves.
- One-time assistance provided for “a leg up,” rather than short-term impact or ongoing needs.
- Assistance for as many individuals/families as possible while providing sufficient support to overcome the barrier.
- Assistance which fills a gap in the support network and does not supplant other existing funding.
Examples of transitional assistance include: security deposit for rental unit, uniform purchase or job appropriate apparel, transportation assistance, car repair, used car purchase, tuition, training fees or materials, equipment or tools, legal consultation, assistive device for recently disabled individuals, prescription medication, credit counseling, tattoo removal, and preventing utility shutoff.
GrantWatch ID#: 180760
The amount of assistance to any one individual or family is not capped, but the intent is to serve as many as possible through the fund. The maximum grant award will be $5,000.
One-year grants will be provided.
It is the intent of the Foundation to evaluate applicant organizations based on the following funding criteria:
- Organizations with regular/ongoing contact with target populations as part of usual program work, ideally in a “case management” relationship.
- Demonstrated ability to administer and monitor a hardship assistance fund.
- The ability of the organization to maximize the amount of grant to be used in direct assistance (low indirect administration rate), and complement, not supplant, existing services.
- Organization is able to leverage existing infrastructure and capacity to administer the program
Funds are not intended for ongoing living expenses such as food or housing.
The Community Foundation San Luis Obispo County supports charitable organizations whose programs primarily benefit San Luis Obispo County residents. An organization must have a current tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service under Section 501(c)(3) and/or 509(a)1 or a current memorandum of understanding outlining fiscal sponsorship partnership to apply.
The Community Foundation San Luis Obispo County does not make grants to/for:
- Organizations that discriminate based on age, disability, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race or religion
- Fraternal Organizations, unless in support of a specific program open to or benefiting the entire community
- Governmental Organizations
- Indirect Administrative costs greater than 15% of the awarded funds (indirect administrative funds are defined as office supplies and do not include staff time)
- Fundraising events such as annual campaigns, walk-a-thons, tournaments, fashion shows, auctions or dinners
- Organizations with religious affiliations unless the program is open to the entire community without regard to religious beliefs
- Organizations and programs designed to elect candidates to public office
- Organizations located outside San Luis Obispo County unless for a specific program benefiting residents of-and conducted within-San Luis Obispo County
- Pay off past debts or existing obligations
- Endowment funds
- Scholarships, fellowships, travel grants, and technical or specialized research
- Begin Accepting Applications Date: 1/28/2019
- Deadline Date (PST Time Zone): 3/29/2019 12:00 AM
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Application form: https://cfsloco.communityforce.com/Login.aspx?3974434C474C374F385A77686F49396164636F71576158755936704365705A2B67684155427A62794D577A6B464C312B4344736378756B76456B333372636F5866492F4430344D4274425038383473742B4754504D6E572F524954612B7A4C5278725758465A2B5A316670434C78686A6D55626E543657324D464E584B46306E767743465633386637787567356D39716A5071472F4A6351504C4F5764754B6C32734F4C656D57413751417A4F73534E306969536733326C3774614F49353237557052347738484A7048453D
Contact the Len Smolburd, Grants Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-543-2323 with any questions about grants.
The Community Foundation San Luis Obiso County
550 Dana Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Office: (805) 543-2323
Fax: (805) 543-2346
USA: California: San Luis Obispo County