Foundation / Corporation
Sundance Institute and Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
Grant and Fellowship to USA screenwriters for either an early-stage science or technology-related project or to support the ongoing development of a feature-length screenplay that focuses on these themes. The grant is intended for a screenwriter at any stage of his or her career to work on an early-stage project, while the fellowship is intended for an emerging screenwriter who is involved in a project at a later stage of development.
Both opportunities provide a cash award to support further development of a screenplay, opportunities to retain science advisors, and receive overall creative and strategic feedback throughout the life of the project. Project development will take place at the Funding Source lab in Utah.
GrantWatch ID#: 180904
1 Lab Fellowship; 1 Commissioning Grant
Both the Grant and Fellowship are geared towards supporting screenwriters. For the Commissioning Grant, you may be any stage of your career - from no produced screenplays to many produced screenplays. For the Screenwriters Lab Fellowship, you may not have more than one produced feature screenplay.
- Project must incorporate real science and/or technology themes and/or characters. Stories that are sci-fi, speculative, or futuristic in nature are not eligible.
- Project must be a feature length narrative film (no documentaries).
- Project must be live action (no animation).
- Project must be English language, and the screenwriter must reside in the US.
- For the Commissioning Grant, screenwriters can be at any stage of their career, with no prior produced work or many produced works. The submitted project may range from detailed treatment to full screenplay form.
- For the Fellowship, screenwriters must have no more than one produced feature screenplay and only full screenplays will be considered.
- For both the grant and fellowship, if the treatment/screenplay is based on source material, the screenwriter must have an option on, or be in the process of optioning, the source material.
The application for the 2018 Sundance/Sloan Commissioning Grant and Fellowship will open June 5 - September 7, 2017.
There is no separate submission required; all projects submitted through this application process are considered for either the Grant or Fellowship based on our evaluation of the project’s development stage.
You may submit up to three projects, but applicants are encouraged to choose one priority project in terms of moving forward. Please note that, for each script, you must complete a separate application and submit a separate application fee of $40.
Notification is made on a rolling basis. You will be notified via email whether you have proceeded to the second round of the application process by October 13, 2017 at the latest. Final notifications will be made by December 22, 2017.
More information about the Funding Source's mission:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register and apply online:
If you have questions regarding the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming