Foundation / Corporation
Scranton Area Community Foundation
09/15/18 - Deadline for Community Grants only; Critical Needs grants are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Grants of up to $10,000 and grants of up to $25,000 to Pennsylvania nonprofits for programs that enhance the quality of life in Lackawanna County. Larger grants require a letter of intent, due February 1, 2018. Programs may be in the areas of arts, education, human services, the environment, animal welfare, and civic affairs.
Critical Needs Grants (up to $10,000)
Critical needs grants will be made for emergencies or pressing, unanticipated needs. Critical needs grants will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year.
Community Needs Grants (up to $25,000)
Community Needs Grants fund a wide range of nonprofit programs that respond to a particular community need or issue and enhance the quality of life in Lackawanna County. The Scranton Area Foundation responds to needs and opportunities with grants in diverse fields. Grant applications are assessed and evaluated according to specific criteria, including, but not limited to:
- Community Impact: Project should be well-defined and should address a need in the community. Project should indicate a defined population served, indicate how it will impact the quality of life in Lackawanna County, and provide qualitative or quantitative measureable outcomes in a certain timeframe.
- Organizational Capability: Organizations should present a well-defined mission; A demonstrated record of success; A financially sound structure; and leadership and staff with proper expertise to complete the project.
- Project Feasibility and Sustainability: The application should include an appropriate budget for the project, and should detail how the project will be completed. Other funders and future funding of the project should be identified.
GrantWatch ID#: 181671
- Community Needs Grants: Up to $25,000
- Critical Needs Grants: Up to $10,000
In general, the Scranton Area Foundation does not fund multi-year grants.
In general, grants will be awarded to 501c3 or related organizations which enhance the quality of life in Lackawanna County.
In general, the Scranton Area Foundation does not fund capital campaigns*, annual campaigns, or multi-year grants.
*In situations where capital improvements can be directly related to program impact or are integral to enhancing the quality of life of our area, they may be considered. Please contact the foundation before submitting a LOI.
Critical Needs Grants will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year.
The application process for Community Needs Grants begins with a Letter of Intent (LOI) submitted via email.
Deadlines for letters of Intent are:
- February 1 for the February 15 grant application deadline
- September 1 for the September 15 grant application deadline
Applicants invited to submit a full application will be notified by SAF and assigned login credentials to access the online application through the SAF Website.
In general, critical needs grants will be made at a level at or below $10,000. In specific instances where the organization wishes to apply for a larger grant, it is important that they contact the foundation in advance of submission of a Letter of Intent.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit the Letter of Intent (LOI) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathy Fitzpatrick, Grants Administrator
Scranton Area Foundation
615 Jefferson Ave., Suite 102
Scranton, Pennsylvania 18510
USA: Pennsylvania: Lackawanna County