Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority (MBVCA)
09/17/18 3:00 PM
Grants of up to $90,000 to Florida organizations to produce a high-quality event or program that will generate significant return in promotion and/or viewership. Applicants must meet with program staff prior to applying.
Requirements are as follows: two of three must be met at the time of application submission and after the completion of the event. All criteria met at the time of application submission must be the same criteria met, POST EVENT. Qualifying criteria must be met and proven through executed contracts on the first deadline date, as noted within the Program Calendar.
- 2,500 Contracted Hotel Room Nights in Miami Beach
- 250,000,000 Contracted Media Impressions and/or
- 15,000,000 Contracted Television or Cable Broadcast
- Hotel Contracts must be fully executed and on Miami Beach in order to qualify for this grant program. Hotel pick up forms and/or reservation reports are required, post-event.
- Media Contracts must be fully executed in order to qualify for this grant program. Post-performance reports are required, post-event. Post-Performance reports from media outlets stating post media impressions; impressions report garnered from the organization’s PR Firm, or from a media monitoring/press clipping service such as BurrellesLuce.
- Television/Cable Program Contracts with audience delivery of adults 18+ as measured by Nielsen Live +3. Nielsen Live +3 indicates the total viewership will calculate for up to 3 days after the initial showing for those using a DVR. A post-performance report is required in order to be in compliance with the grant guidelines. Note: The broadcast must be a stand-alone show, not a feature as part of another show, and a minimum of 30 minutes in duration. Broadcast Post Performance Report from a third party reporting delivery of Adult 18+ and Households (HH) in Thousands (000). Nielsen, Over The Top (OTT), or Comscore/Rentrak Post Performance Reports are acceptable.
In order to be eligible for the Tourism Advancement Program, the proposed program must have a compelling tourism component and demonstrated ability to attract tourists to Miami Beach.
The panel will provide priority attention to the following tourism development objectives in regard to making funding decisions:
- Television Coverage: programs with confirmed television coverage and viewership from a major
network or cable provider.
- Development Areas: programs which occur during the months of June - September and during national holidays; programs which help expand the positive impact of tourism into North Beach and other underutilized areas of Miami Beach.
- Confirmation of Hotel Room Nights: programs with confirmed hotel room blocks of 350 hotel room nights or more in a Miami Beach hotel.
- Significant Impact: programs that have a track record or a demonstrable potential to provide a significant national and/or international return for Miami Beach in regard to publicity and visitorship.
- Long-Term Planning: year-round activities, series of events and/or entire seasons which demonstrate comprehensive and strategic approaches to building effective cultural tourism programs.
- Open to the Public: programs, events and activities that are open and accessible to Miami Beach visitors and residents.
- Event Quality/Reputation: events that attract high caliber and high profile artists to perform in Miami Beach; events with an outstanding national or international reputation.
GrantWatch ID#: 182063
The maximum grant request is one quarter of the actual project budget, up to a maximum of $90,000.
Funding Project Activities between October 1, 2018 – September 30, 2019.
Applicant organizations must be incorporated for a minimum of one year from the event start date to be eligible to apply for a grant. If applicant organization has been incorporated less than a year, a Fiscal Agent, with a minimum of one year of incorporation from the event start date, may apply on their behalf.
Applicants presenting to the Board must be registered as lobbyists with the City of Miami Beach.
Applicants should be prepared to make a brief presentation about their program and be ready to respond to questions from the MBVCA Board. Applicants must be present at the meeting to be considered for funding.
At least 50% of the events must take place within the City of Miami Beach.
Please contact the Grants Administrator for further eligibility.
The following are not eligible for funding support:
- Administrative Expenses to include payroll taxes, medical, insurance, worker’s compensation, pension contributions, etc.
- Administrative Salaries/Production Labor Costs/Labor Costs/Artist Fees/Performer Fees
- Applicant Organizations with less than one year of incorporation
- Capital expenses and permanent equipment
- Cash Prizes
- Charitable Contributions
- City Services (permit fees, off-duty police, insurance, etc.)
- Conventions and conferences that do not have a significant national and/or international tourism impact for Miami Beach.
- Debt Reduction
- Events not open to the public
- Expenses incurred prior to grant award date or fiscal year; whichever is later
- Film Productions (must apply under Film Incentive Grant Program)
- Fiscal Agents may not be used by organizations that are applying to or receiving funding from the CAP, during the current fiscal year
- Incomplete or misrepresented applications
- Light pole banner costs within Miami Dade County
- Local marketing and advertising costs (Miami Dade County publications) – only regional, national, and international
- Monthly/Annual Organizational Membership Fees
- Operational Expenses (utilities, office rental costs, legal fees, payroll fees, insurance, etc.)
- Organizations failing to meet Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 as amended (42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq.), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act requirements.
- Organizations that are currently applying for or have received a grant from the Miami Beach Cultural Affairs Program (CAP)
- Organizations that have not filed their Final Report as required for prior MBVCA funded programs
- Organizations who owe monies to venues owned and/or managed by the City of Miami Beach (Byron Carlyle Theater, Colony Theater, Fillmore at the Jackie Gleason, Miami Beach Convention Center, Miami Beach Botanical Gardens, Bass Museum of Art, etc.)
- Programs or expenses for programs that do not take place in the fiscal year
- Programs that do not wholly or substantially take place within the City of Miami Beach
- Publications not directly associated with the promotion of an event
- Social/Fundraising programs
- Television, Video, or Filming Expenses
- Travel and/or Hospitality costs
- Website Design/IT Development and Maintenance
Prospective Applicants must meet with MBVCA Staff by Friday, August 24, 2018 at 4:00 PM.
Application Submission Process
All applicants must register through the MBVCA’s Application Portal. Applications are submitted through a multi-step process where all required grant criteria and a draft application must be submitted and approved by the published deadline date before being able to move onto the next step in the process. If the documentation is not received or is not acceptable by the deadline date, the applicant may not continue with the grant process.
Once the grant criteria and draft application are approved, the applicant may proceed to the next step of submitting the remainder of the required application attachments. Again, if the required documentation is not received by the published deadline, it will be deemed late and the applicant may not proceed with the application process. Once all documentation is received, corrections may be issued to the applicant. All corrections must be made by the published deadline date. Late applications will not be accepted and therefore, will not be considered by the Board.
The MBVCA shall not be considered the sole source of funding. Applicants must provide their entire program budget. This budget must show sponsors, who have been secured prior to seeking support from the MBVCA, and indicate those funding sources in the budget portion of the application. Applicants must demonstrate a minimum of a four-to-one funding ratio.
First Period: October 1, 2018 – January 31, 2019:
-Prospective Applicants must meet with MBVCA Staff by: Friday, August 24, 2018 by 4:00 pm
-Project Information and Required Grant Criteria must be submitted for approval by: Friday, August 31, 2018 by 3:00 pm
-Draft Application and Application Attachments must be submitted by: Friday, September 7, 2018 by 3:00 pm
-Final Application Deadline: Monday, September 17, 2018 by 12:00 pm
-Board Meeting Date: TBA in late September/early October 2018
Second Period: February 1, 2019 – May 31, 2019:
-Prospective Applicants must meet with MBVCA Staff by: Friday, October 12, 2018 by 4:00 pm
-Project Information and Required Grant Criteria must be submitted for approval by: Friday, October 19, 2018 by 3:00 pm
-Draft Application and Application Attachments must be submitted by: Friday, October 26, 2018 by 3:00 pm
-Final Application Deadline: Monday, November 5, 2018 by 3:00 pm
-Board Meeting Date: TBA in November/December 2018
Third Period: June 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019:
-Prospective Applicants must meet with MBVCA Staff by: Friday, January 18, 2019 by 4:00 pm
-Project Information and Required Grant Criteria must be submitted for approval by Friday, January 25, 2019 by 3:00 pm
-Draft Application and Application Attachments must be submitted by: Friday, February 1, 2019 by 3:00 pm
-Final Application Deadline: Monday, February 11, 2019 by 12:00 pm
-Board Meeting Date: TBA in March/April 2019
The MBVCA Board will meet in three periods to determine funding for the Tourism Advancement Program. The grant program is announced through published and disseminated guidelines, and legally advertised deadlines. The grant program requires organizations to show evidence of matching funds from other public and private sector sources.
MBVCA grants are paid upon performance; therefore, funding is provided on a reimbursement basis. If an event is cancelled; has a significant venue change where 50% of the events no longer taking place within the City of Miami Beach; dates change to where it no longer takes place within the fiscal year in which the grant was awarded, or other circumstance not mentioned above, the grant will be reviewed and possibly rescinded.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://www.miamibeachvca.com/portal/login/
Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority
1701 Meridian Avenue, Suite 403
Miami Beach, FL 33139
USA: Florida: City of Miami Beach