Foundation / Corporation
Morris Animal Foundation
11/14/18 11:59 PM EST
Grants and fellowships to USA, Canada, and International researchers for research that addresses the health and welfare of wildlife and exotic animals. Funding is intended to support humane and hypothesis-driven projects that demonstrate high potential impact and scientific merit.
Grants are available in the following categories:
The Established Investigator Grant is the most common grant, designed to provide funding for impactful research by individuals and teams with a previous record of research and publication.
The Pilot Study Grant is designed to provide funding for innovative ideas to accelerate discovery and advance MAF’s mission. Preliminary data are not required.
The First Award Grant is designed to assist new faculty in establishing a successful research program.
The Fellowship Training Grant is designed to assist new investigators in launching a successful research career by providing salary support in a quality mentoring environment. Fellowship training grant funding is limited to salary support only.
GrantWatch ID#: 182119
- First Award grants: Funding is limited to two years at $50,000 maximum per year (personnel and supplies), plus maximum of 8 percent indirect costs (maximum annual award $54,000).
- Pilot study grants: The maximum amount is $10,000 plus indirect costs (total maximum award $10,800).
- Established Investigator Proposals: There is no limit to the annual budget request; however, the average award is approximately $50,000/year.
- Fellowship Training Grants: A maximum of two years of salary up to $50,000 per year (including benefits and indirect costs) is allowed.
- Established Investigator Proposals: The maximum study duration is three years.
- Pilot Study Proposals: The maximum study duration is one year.
- Fellowship Training Grant Proposals: A maximum of two years of support is available.
- First Award Funding: A maximum of two years of support is available.
Qualifications of Fellowship Training Grant applicant:
- Applicants must have a DVM or PhD and be in a pre- or postdoctoral research program.
- The applicant cannot have completed more than two (2) years of full-time postdoctoral research training on the proposed project.
- Clinical residents and other applicants with clinical service requirements are not eligible.
- Successful candidates should have completed the majority of coursework for their program and must devote at least 75 percent of their time to the funded research.
- Applicants must prepare the proposal independently, with mentor input.
- Tuition is not supported by this award.
The First Award is designed to assist new faculty in establishing a successful research program. To qualify, an applicant:
- Must have a DVM and/or PhD and a full-time, permanent position in a university, accredited zoo, or conservation organization. Individuals currently in a residency are not eligible for this award. Postdoctoral researchers should be completing their program and proposing research intended to be conducted in a permanent full-time position.
- Must not have received previous funding as a principal investigator for more than $20,000 for any single extramural award. Previous funding as a co-investigator is acceptable.
- Must provide a letter documenting his or her full-time permanent status from the institution’s dean, department head or equivalent.
- Must have the support of a faculty mentor in the applicant’s field.
Eligible applicants for Pilot Study Grants:
- All investigators are eligible to apply; however, an individual can be the Principal Investigator on only one Pilot Study per year.
Eligible applicants for Established Investigator grants:
- Individuals and teams with a previous record of research and publication.
Funding excludes wild horses - please apply for projects involving wild horses during the call for large animal proposals.
Proposals are due Wednesday, November 14, 2018, by 11:59 p.m. EST.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Established Investigator online application portal: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_945/default.asp?SA=SNA&FID=35068
Fellowship Training online portal:
First Award online portal: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_945?SA=SNA&FID=35070
Pilot Study online portal: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_945?SA=SNA&FID=35073
Morris Animal Foundation
720 S. Colorado Blvd, Suite 174A
Denver, CO 80246
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.