Foundation / Corporation
Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation
02/14/18 3:00 PM ET
Two-year fellowships to USA nursing and medical school faculty to develop and implement innovative educational projects at their home institutions. Scholars will also participate in career development activities and have access to national networking opportunities.
Funding is designed to identify and nurture the careers of promising educational innovators in medicine and nursing.
Chosen scholars will receive:
- Salary support of up to $100,000 per year for two years
- At least 50 percent protected time for two years to pursue educational projects
- Participation in the Annual Macy Faculty Scholars Meeting.
- Mentoring from National Advisory Committee.
- Participation in one or more Harvard Macy Institute programs.
- Access to other Macy grantees and programs.
There are many areas of possible innovations in health professional education that the Macy Faculty Scholars might explore. The Foundation is particularly interested in the following:
1. Interprofessional education to promote team work and interprofessional collaboration.
2. New models of clinical education that emphasize longitudinal, integrated experiences with patients, families, and faculty.
3. New content in health professional curricula such as quality improvement, patient safety, systems analysis, health
economics, and the social determinants of health.
4. Education of health professionals to care for underserved populations, including addressing the need for more primary care providers.
5. Programs to diversify the health professional workforce so that it more closely matches across many dimensions the populations to be served.
6. Domestic programs that promote understanding of global health and population health.
This is an illustrative, but not exhaustive, list of innovations that might be the work of the Scholars. The program seeks to attract and nurture faculty who are committed to careers in health professional education, are innovators and have shown promise as future leaders.
GrantWatch ID#: 182463
Up to five awards will be given annually.
Awards will be given in amounts of up to $100,000 (plus fringe benefits) per year.
Fellowships last for two years.
The candidate must be at an accredited US nursing school, allopathic medical school, or osteopathic medical school.
Each candidate must:
- Be a doctorally-prepared faculty member in good standing at the sponsoring school.
- Have served for five or more years as a faculty member, ideally at the sponsoring school.
- Have an identified faculty mentor who will provide advice on the candidate’s project and career development.
- Have an educational innovation project with the appropriate institutional support.
- Have an institutional commitment for the protection of at least 50% of the applicant's time.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or its territories.
Additionally, each candidate must be nominated by the dean of their nursing or medical school. There can be no more than one nominee per nursing or medical school, and a nursing or medical school with a first-year Macy Faculty Scholars is precluded from nominating a candidate during this year.
On December 14, 2017, at 2:00 PM ET, the Macy Foundation will host an informational web conference on the 2018 Macy Faculty Scholars Program. The session will outline the requirements for Macy Scholars, as well as the application process and deadlines. After a short presentation, the Macy Foundation will answer your questions regarding the 2018 Macy Faculty Scholars Program.
RSVP via the link in Contact Information below.
- December 14, 2017: Informational Webinar
- February 14, 2018: Deadline for receipt of applications
- April 25, 2018: Notification of Finalists
- June 18 –19, 2018: Interview of Finalists in New York City
- June 22, 2018: Notification of Scholars and Sponsoring Schools
- September 1, 2018: Appointment begins
About the program: http://www.macyfoundation.org/macy-scholars
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
RSVP for the webinar: https://cc.readytalk.com/registration/#/?meeting=y61ozbct9cdt&campaign=1vqqjdhi1zdk
Apply online: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=macy&
The Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation
44 East 64th Street
New York, New York 10065
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming