New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
11/07/18 4:00 PM Local Time
Grants to New York municipal and nonprofit animal shelters, pounds, and humane societies to support capital projects. Eligible projects include the renovation, rehabilitation, construction, acquisition, installation, or expansion of equipment, buildings, and facilities necessary for the secure containment, health and adequate care of sheltered dogs and cats.
Examples of eligible expenses:
- Labor performed by outside employees (contractors, etc.)
- Labor performed by municipal employees
- Project oversight by shelter management
- HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system
- Medical equipment or facilities used exclusively for sheltered dogs and cats
- Any project that relates directly to the secure containment, health, and adequate care of sheltered dogs and cats.
1) In municipalities with a population of less than two million, for pounds, shelters or humane societies that are operated by or under contract for the provision of pound or shelter services with one or more municipalities:
i) For projects serving an individual municipality, grants of not less than Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) and not more than Two Hundred Thousand Dollars ($200,000), not to exceed fifty percent (50%) of the total project cost, or
ii) For projects serving two or more municipalities, grants of not less than One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) and not more than Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($500,000), not to exceed seventy-five percent (75%) of the total project cost.
2) In municipalities with a population of more than two million, for pounds, shelters or humane societies that are operated by or under contract for the provision of pound or shelter services with one or more municipalities, grants of not less than One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) and not more than Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($500,000), not to exceed seventy-five percent (75%) of the total project cost.
GrantWatch ID#: 182483
Award amounts range from $50,000 to $500,000, depending on criteria noted in the RFP.
Actual construction must begin within 3 months of the date the contract is approved by the Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC). Projects must be completed within 2 years of the date the contract is approved by OSC.
Municipal and incorporated not-for-profit pounds, shelters and humane societies are eligible applicants.
The following entities are not eligible to apply for funding:
- For-profit entities
Examples of ineligible expenses:
- Medical equipment or facilities used for community or outpatient services
- Labor performed by shelter employees, volunteers, or management – unless performed by municipal employees
- The purchase of land
- Architect and/or design fees
- Archeological study on land to be used for a facility
- Blacktopping a driveway
- RFP Posted: 07/20/2018
- Questions Due: 10/24/2018
- Answers Posted: 10/29/2018
- Proposals Due: 11/07/2018 at 4:00 PM local time
- Tentative Award Date: 12/12/2018
- Contract Start Date (2 year contracts): 01/01/2019
Depending on the funding requested, applicants will need to provide a minimum of twenty-five percent (25%) or fifty percent (50%) of the total project costs. Matching funds must be in the form of cash and be applied to eligible cost categories.
Once the contract is fully executed, grant funds will be disbursed on a reimbursement basis.
New York State vendors must register in the Gateway and establish users in the system. To start this process, from the Grant Opportunity Portal, under Registration, click “Request Access Now!” to view your options.
A list of questions, answers to those questions, as well as any addenda to the RFP will be posted on the Department’s website at:
The Department will post Questions and Answers as soon as possible, but in no event later than 10/29/2018. All questions and answers shall be incorporated in the RFP as a formal addendum.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Grant Opportunity Profile:
10B Airline Drive
Albany, NY 12235
USA: New York City; New York