District of Columbia Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD) and Mayor’s Office of Clean City (OCC)
04/01/19 12:00 PM
Grants of up to $80,000 to Washington, DC businesses and multi-unit residential properties to lease, purchase, and install trash compactors. An expression of interest must be submitted prior to submitting a full proposal. Funding is intended to reduce rodents, address sanitation problems, and decrease water and air pollution in Washington's commercial areas. Priority is given to adjacent or nearby businesses that each apply and coordinate their efforts.
The Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD), in partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Clean City (OCC), awards funding for the FY19 Commercial Waste Compactor Demonstration Project Grants to install trash compactors that will have an impact on minimizing sanitation and rodent issues in the District’s commercial corridors. The grant program aims to help businesses and multi‐unit residential properties reduce the sanitation issues (loose trash, spills, trash containers that are not completely sealable) that can attract rodents and pollute runoff that enters DC’s waterways. The FY19 Program focuses on collaborative efforts to improve the public realm with a specific focus on sanitation conditions of commercial corridors by installing compactors. The Program supports the Mayor’s Sustainable DC Plan’s goals for climate and the environment (see http://www.sustainabledc.org).
Eligible Use of Funds:
1. Purchase or lease commercial trash compactors that are completely sealed when closed (i.e., no gaps) and can be installed with 90 days of grant award.
2. Costs associated with installation of a commercial trash compactor such as electrical wiring to bring power to the compactor’s location, delivery fees, and pouring concrete pad.
Benefits to Businesses and the District include:
- Reduces rodent issues and improves sanitation
- Promotes clean, and healthy neighborhoods
- May lower operational costs for hauling waste
- Decreases greenhouse emissions (fewer hauling trips)
- Decreases runoff pollution that enters DC’s waterways
GrantWatch ID#: 184421
DSLBD will award approximately 7‐10 grants.
Maximum grant amount for a project is $80,000.
Eligible Applicants on a Multiple‐Business Demonstration Project may request a higher grant award amount. The maximum grant request for:
- 1‐business project is $16,000 for the single business
- 2‐businesses on a project is $36,000 which averages $18,000 per business
- 3‐businesses on a project is $57,000 which averages $19,000 per business
- 4‐businesses on project is $80,000 which averages $20,000 per business
Period of Performance is from effective date of the Grant Agreement through January 2020. All grant funds must be spent and accounted for by September 30, 2019.
Grantees may only expend Grant funds on eligible costs that are set forth in the executed Grant Agreement and incurred by the Grantee on or after the Effective Date.
1. Businesses (commercial, for‐profit entities), which are open, licensed and operating from a commercial space where the compactor will be installed and used, may submit an application for consideration. Preference is for local businesses, i.e., a business with its headquarters in the District of Columbia.
2. Multi‐unit residential properties (for‐profit), which are open, licensed and operating in a commercial corridor may submit an application if they are part of a Multiple‐Business Demonstration Project.
Applicants who seek collaboration with other nearby businesses should check “interested in collaborating” when completing the Expression of Interest form. DSLBD will connect them via email to any nearby businesses that also expressed interest.
Home‐based businesses or businesses operating from a residential space may not apply. Property or property managers may not apply; but they may help their business tenants apply.
Eligible Demonstration Projects:
A demonstration project comprises one or more Eligible Applicants that propose to install a commercial compactor(s) to reduce sanitation issues and rodent activity in a commercial corridor. The compactor(s) must be installed at the location of the applicant’s business and used by the business. Multiple‐business demonstration projects are encouraged.
For more information about eligible demonstration projects, including single-business and multiple-business projects, see https://dslbd.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/dslbd/page_content/attachments/RFA_Round%202_CompactorGrantFY19.pdf#page=2.
To start an application, applicants must submit an Expression of Interest form by March 22, 2019. DSLBD will then create an online application based on that initial information and email a link to the application with three (3) business days.
There are two submission deadlines for the application:
- Early Submission Deadline – February 25, 2019 at 12pm for March selection
- Second and Final Submission Deadline—April 1, 2019 at 12pm for May selection (If there are still funds available after the 2/25 early submission review
DSLBD will notify all applicants of its decision within three (3) weeks of the application submission deadline. Businesses that receive a Notice of Selection must email an acceptance/decline within three (3) business days. If a business accepts, they are considered a Finalist. DSLBD will give Finalists approximately 5 business days to provide pre-award documents.
DSLBD will provide a courtesy review of required eligibility items on February 19 and March 19. Any applicants who have completed these items will receive an email within 2 businesses days alerting them to any eligibility items for which they are not compliant as of those dates.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Expression of Interest form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TQKT335
For more information and program updates, contact the DSLBD at:
Kristi C. Whitfield, Director
Department of Small and Local Business Development
441 4th Street, NW, Suite 850 North, Washington, DC 20001
USA: Washington, DC