North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT)
12/31/18 - for all areas not required to submit through an MPO.
Grants to North Dakota local public agencies for transportation infrastructure improvements. Funding is intended for projects that will preserve transportation assets, improve transportation safety, contribute to the economic development of the area, and improve different types of transportation.
The objectives of the program are as follows:
- Preserve existing transportation assets
- Ensure safety of all users of the transportation system
- Improve multi-modal transportation options such as walking, bicycling, and public transportation
- Enhance the economic vitality of the area by providing transportation assets that support revitalization efforts, development of vacant or underutilized parcels within existing urban areas, and/or redevelopment of established portions of communities
- Support economically sustainable growth, lessening the need for outward expansion of community transportation infrastructure and associated services
In part, the program intends to maximize the public’s return on investment by focusing on transportation projects that support revitalization, development of vacant or underutilized parcels within existing urban areas, and/or redevelopment of the established built environment of the LPA. Examples of projects which might align with the objectives of this program could include but are not limited to:
- Pedestrian, bicycle, and public transportation friendly corridor improvements
- Projects that improve safety for all users of the transportation system
- Traffic calming measures
- Road diets
- Bus stops and other eligible public transportation facilities
- Bus pull-outs
- Bike lanes/buffered bike lanes
- Landscaping and streetscape improvements
- Pedestrian controlled signalization
- Projects improving transportation system connectivity (including with multiple modes)
- Asset preservation projects, such as pavement overlays
Projects which directly support a community’s urban core or central business district and which can demonstrate a return on investment will be given preferential consideration.
GrantWatch ID#: 184568
Program funds are limited to North Dakota’s LPAs with a population 5,000 or greater.
Projects which include/support an increase in passenger vehicle capacity at the edges of an LPA and/or contribute to the expansion of the LPAs geographic footprint are generally not consistent with the objectives of this program.
Projects in Grand Forks, Fargo/West Fargo, and Bismarck/Mandan metro areas must be submitted to the local MPO, with the MPO submitting the application to the NDDOT.
- Bismarck-Mandan MPO: November 30, 2018
- Fargo-Moorhead Council of Governments: December 4, 2018
- Grand Forks-East Grand Forks MPO: 12:00 PM on December 4, 2018
- All areas not required to submit through an MPO: December 31, 2018
Federal funding will be the primary source of funding under this program. As such, there are match requirements that need to be met in order to use these funds. The local match required and who is responsible for the local match will be dependent on the roadway/facility being improved and will be identified in the signed agreement between NDDOT and the LPA.
The LPA will be required to cover all match needed for service road construction or improvements (typically 20 percent). Participation on side streets will be to the right of way line or to the radius point adjacent to the federal aid route if the radius point is beyond the right of way line, unless design guidelines/standards require construction activity beyond this limit, within reason.
The LPA will be required to provide 100 percent funding for items not eligible for federal aid such as water lines, sanitary sewer, ineligible storm sewer costs, and items that exceed reasonable design specifications as determined by NDDOT. Federal or State funds from other state agencies may be used for non-transportation related items, as allowed by those programs.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
MPO contact information is as follows:
221 North 5th Street
Bismarck, ND 58506
Fargo-Moorhead Council of Governments
Case Plaza Center Suite 232 1 2nd Street
North Fargo, ND 58102
Grand Forks-East Grand Forks MPO
PO Box 5200
Grand Forks, ND 58206-5200
Please submit complete applications to:
Local Government Division
North Dakota Department of Transportation
608 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505-0700
Phone: (701) 328-4469
Fax: (701) 328-0310
Email questions via contact form: https://www.dot.nd.gov/dotnet2/submitinfo/SubmitInfo/Index?pageID=contact-ugp
USA: North Dakota