Foundation / Corporation
Mississippi Wildlife Federation (MWF)
Awards to Mississippi organizations, corporations, and individuals for exceptional contributions to the field of resource conservation and environmental restoration. Award recipients will be honored for achievement in wildlife management, hunter safety, restoration and enhancement of fisheries, natural resource conservation education, and air, water, and soil conservation. Winners will receive a handsome wildlife statuette in recognition of their accomplishments.
The Mississippi Wildlife Federation will host the Conservation Achievement Awards Luncheon to recognize and honor those whose achievements in natural resource conservation deserve statewide recognition. MWF’s Conservation Achievement Awards are among the most prestigious for conservation efforts. Award nominees are those who have contributed to improving the environment or furthering the cause of natural resource conservation.
The award categories include:
- Conservationist of the Year – For a lifetime commitment to conservation in Mississippi. It is given for the most outstanding effort and achievement in any field of natural resource management or for the most significant contribution to the cause of conservation. Nominees from all other categories may be considered for this award. Additional criteria for this award category require that the nominee be a conservationist, professional or volunteer, whose contribution to an environmental field has been sustained over a period of several years; a person whose contribution to conservation is of such significance as to be known statewide, or nationally; a conservationist whose contributions are not necessarily related to a single issue or effort, but who has, over a period of time become known as a person whose activities and influence bring about positive changes in matters affecting the environment; a conservationist who, by this recognition, would serve to create a broader interest in conservation and by example, encourage others to outstanding accomplishments on behalf of the state’s natural resources
- Wildlife Conservationist of the Year – For outstanding contributions to the management, enhancement and restoration of wildlife resources in Mississippi.
- Fisheries Conservationist of the Year – For outstanding contributions to the management, enhancement and restoration of fisheries resources in Mississippi.
- Soil, Air and Water Conservationist of the Year – For outstanding efforts toward improvement of air quality, water quality or soil conservation in the state.
- Forest Conservationist of the Year – For demonstrating outstanding leadership in the management of the state’s forest resources. Fish and wildlife management and best management practices must be a major component.
- Youth Conservationist of the Year – For a young Mississippian who demonstrated a personal commitment to conserving the state’s resources and protecting the environment. The nominee must be under the age of 21 at the time of nomination. Youth groups qualify.
- Conservation Educator of the Year – For the most outstanding effort in conservation education. The recipient may be a professional or volunteer.
- Conservation Communicator of the Year – For the most outstanding effort by a journalist, newspaper, magazine, newsletter, radio or television station, web site or other communication medium to create public awareness about the importance of natural resources.
- Conservation Officer of the Year – For outstanding service by a state or federal wildlife enforcement officer.
- Hunter Education Volunteer Instructor of the Year – For outstanding efforts by a volunteer instructor of the Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks to promote and teach hunter safety education in Mississippi.
- Elected Official of the Year – For outstanding leadership and accomplishments by a state or federal elected official from Mississippi which has resulted in significant contributions to the stewardship of natural resources
- Corporate Conservationist of the Year – For significant efforts by a Mississippi business or corporation toward environmental restoration, conservation education, wildlife and fisheries management or other natural resource programs. Efforts must be voluntary, involve employees and go above and beyond compliance with mandatory programs.
- Mississippi Wildlife Federation Conservation Partner of the Year – For outstanding achievement by a conservation partner of the Mississippi Wildlife Federation that has made a notable contribution to the conservation protection or restoration of the state’s natural resources. (The Mississippi Wildlife Federation is a federation of individuals, businesses and organizations, forming the largest network of conservationists in the state.)
The Mississippi Wildlife Federation's mission is to conserve Mississippi’s natural resources and protect its wildlife legacy while informing, inspiring, and involving people of all ages. To that end, the Federation conducts important activities in guarding, conserving and restoring natural resources.
GrantWatch ID#: 184687
Each award winner receives a handsome wildlife statuette. The Conservationist of the Year will receive the Eagle Award.
Nominees may be a Mississippi individual, organization, business, or corporation. (For award-specific eligibility criteria, see descriptions of award categories in Description above.)
The entry deadline is November 30, 2018.
A nomination form must be submitted to officially nominate a person. You may submit the form as well as support documentation electronically, or print and send by mail to the Mississippi Wildlife Federation.
For further information, call the Federation.
About the Mississippi Wildlife Federation: https://mswildlife.org/about-us/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To submit the nomination form, send it via mail or email to:
Mississippi Wildlife Federation
517 Cobblestone Court, Suite 2
Madison, MS 39110-7570
Phone (601) 605-1790
Fax (601) 605-1794