Foundation / Corporation
Shiawassee Community Foundation (SCF)
Grants to Shiawassee County, Michigan nonprofits, schools, health and human service organizations, municipalities, libraries, and agencies for programs and projects that benefit youth in the community. Priority is given to proposals that align with the following areas of focus: education, youth development, health, the arts, recreation, the environment, and low-income and at-risk individuals.
The W.K. Kellogg Foundation Youth Advisory Council Fund was established by a grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation to encourage youth philanthropy. It is a permanent endowment fund for projects and programs that primarily benefit youth in the greater Shiawassee County area. YAC members review the grant applications and make funding recommendations to the Shiawassee Community Foundation Board of Directors.
YAC gives priority to programs that:
- Empower youth to contribute to their community
- Enrich the lives of youth in the community
- Reach as many young people in the area as possible
- Examine and address the underlying causes of local problems
- Promote personal independence
- Attract volunteer resources and support
- Strengthen the private, non-profit sector
- Encourage collaboration with other organizations
- Build the capacity of the applying organization
- Support the start-up of new programs that solve critical local problems
- Focus on prevention
GrantWatch ID#: 184797
Grants are awarded to qualifying organizations, including 501(c)(3) non-profits, schools, health and human service organizations, municipalities, libraries, and other government organizations.
All grants must be used for charitable purposes and may not be awarded to individuals.
The Youth Advisory Council does not typically award grants for:
- Capital giving/fundraising campaigns
- Educational scholarships
- Operating expenses, including salaries
- Religious or sectarian purposes (this does not necessarily exclude church programs)
- Political/legislative purposes
- Low priority is given to ongoing programs where alternative funding is not planned to carry the program forward following a foundation grant.
Applications are due by 4:00 pm on Friday, February 1, 2019.
Please be prepared to deliver a 5-minute presentation on your grant request followed by a Q&A session on either March 17 or April 14. If your grant has been selected for consideration, you will be contacted to sign up for a time slot.
- The Youth Advisory Council will hold one grant cycle for the 2018-19 year.
- If your organization has an outstanding Final Report for a previous YAC grant, please contact our office before submitting your application.
- Grants for approved projects will be awarded at the May 19, 2019 YAC meeting.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Please submit your completed grant application and attachments to:
Shiawassee Community Foundation
217 N. Washington Street, Suite 104
Owosso, MI 48867
If you have any questions, please contact:
USA: Michigan: Greater Shiawassee County area