Israel Innovation Authority (IIA) and Ministry of Economy, Science and Innovation (MESI) of Quebec
05/06/19 Israel Time
Grants to Israel and Quebec companies for innovative collaborative industrial research and development projects. Eligible projects are that that have significant commercial potential and that create economic benefits for Israel, Quebec, and the collaborating companies.
The purpose of the Industrial R&D Program is to support greater collaboration among Québec and Israeli companies and researchers. The Program will support projects that fall within the framework of this call for proposal between the governments of the Province of Québec and the State of Israel.
The general objectives of the 2nd Call for Proposals are primarily to ensure that the selected projects :
- Create close and direct working Relationship between the 2 jurisdictions innovation agencies;
- Benefit the economies of Québec and Israel;
- Generate fruitful and long term alliances between organizations and companies involved in research and innovation in Québec and in Israel;
- Highlight the complementary strengths of Québec and Israel for the mutual benefit of both parties;
- Help both designated entities to achieve their strategic objectives.
The Québec-Israel 2nd Call for Proposals aims to financially support two year Industrial R&D projects that should fall, primarily but not exhaustively, within one or more of the following topics:
1. Infrastructure and construction;
2. Electrical equipment, electronics and nanotechnology;
3. Agro-technology and water management;
4. Environmental technologies;
5. Biotechnology, medical technology and the pharmaceutical industry;
6. Chemical and petrochemical industries;
7. Aerospace and automotive industries;
8. Information and communications technologies;
9. Services, in particular software, insurance, transportation and education;
10. Banking and financial sectors;
11. Marine related science and technologies
12. Any other relevant fields on which the Parties may agree.
GrantWatch ID#: 184937
MESI and the IIA envision making between 12-15 awards under this R&D Program, including up to 4-5 projects per call.
Maximum award from MESI: up to 50% of the eligible R&D cost achieved in Québec province, without exceeding 250,000 CDN$ over the project duration.
Maximum award from IIA: Typically up to 50% of the Israeli R&D cost + regional (development zones) incentives
Project duration: not to exceed 24 months from the date of the award.
This grant application is open to Québec companies that have partnered with an Israeli company and are seeking grant funds to support their joint R&D project/technology.
Eligible projects shall involve at least one academic partner from Québec, member of QuébecInnove and one unrelated Israeli company (companies are considered unrelated if they have separate legal identities and do not have a parent/wholly owned or controlled subsidiary relationship). Hence, the applicant must ensure that these industrial researchers tangibly participate in carrying out the R&D activities leading to the completion of the project, in collaboration with academic researchers for the Québec part of the said project.
For the 2nd Call for Proposals, Québec’s Awarded companies will receive funding through the Programme innovation, volet 1: Soutien aux projets d’innovation. This grant may be leveraged by other investments consistent with the policies and procedures of the Program. Québec companies interested in applying for funding must meet the eligibility criteria listed in the Program Application guideline at:
Israeli companies pursuing cooperative projects with Québec companies that will take place in Israel may apply for grant funds through the IIA. For eligibility of Israeli companies please refer to Jonathan Cohen.
Each funding entity will award funding to successful applicants based upon its own guidelines and procedures. Given the collaborative nature of the Program, funding from MESI is contingent on the Israeli company receiving funding from IIA or certifying that it will selffund its participation. Similarly, funding from IIA is contingent on the Québec company receiving funding from MESI or certifying that it will selffund its participation. As mentioned above, all projects are to be mutually beneficial for the Québec and Israeli companies and economies.
The Québec and Israeli partners may have a prior working relationship, but they may not apply for funding on any project where they have executed a collaborative R&D agreement for the same work prior to this Call for Proposals (October 2, 2018).
Phase 1 Deadline (Bilateral form): January 14, 2019
Phase 2 Deadline for funding application submission: May 6, 2019
- Call for proposals launched: October 2, 2018
- Deadline for the acceptance of the letters of intent : January 14,
- Joint assessment MESI /IIA of the letters of intent : January 15 to February 3, 2019
- Feedback on eligible letters of intent : February 4 to February 17, 2019
- Full Application deadline: February 18 to May 6, 2019
- Evaluation of projects submitted (by the two Parties): May 14 to August 18, 2019
- Joint committee to approve projects: August 19 to September 8, 2019
- Immediately thereafter: Signing of funding agreements with Québec’s and Israel’s projects leaders
Time Zone: Israel
Phase 1: Bilateral form submission: Please submit a Bilateral cooperation form for assessment by January 14, 2019 to Jonathan Cohen. Companies will receive feedback on eligible cooperation forms by February 17, 2019. Eligible companies can peruse to phase 2.
Phase 2: Full funding application submission Please submit an online funding application to the Israel Innovation Authority.
Both partners applying for the program should fill the International R&D Collaboration form together and submit it to the two counterpart agencies.
Israeli companies pursuing cooperative projects with Québec companies that will take place in Israel may apply for grant funds through the IIA. For eligibility of Israeli companies please contact Jonathan Cohen.
The Israel Innovation Authority will assist in partner matching and provide funding of up to 50% (+regional incentives, if applicable) of the approved R&D costs.
For instructions in Hebrew on how to submit the Israel Innovation Funding Application and online submission, please click here: https://innovationisrael.org.il/international/programsrnd/bilateral
For instructions in English: https://innovationisrael.org.il/en/program/bilateral-programs-parallel-support
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit an Expression of Interest form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information, please contact:
Mr. Jonathan Cohen
Program Manager - North American Desk
Israel Innovation Authority
eMail: see above
For inquiries related to the Grant:
Direction of Canadian and International Partnerships and Programs
Ministry of Economy, Science and Innovation of Quebec
393, Saint-Jacques Street, 4th floor
Montreal (Québec) H2Y 1N9 Canada
+1-514 873-1767 ext. 3234 - 1 866 680-1884 ext. 3234 –