Maine Department of Community and Economic Development (DECD), Maine International Trade Center (MITC), and Defense Industry Maine (DIME)
Grants of up to $14,000 to Maine defense companies for business diversification. Funding is intended to support training and industry related events and conferences, diversification and market research assistance, and certification and compliance assistance at both the international and domestic levels.
The U.S. Department of Defense, Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA) grant initiative provides funding to states and U.S. territories to diversify U.S. defense dependent companies. Administered by the Maine Department of Community and Economic Development (DECD) and Maine International Trade Center (MITC), the objective of the OEA Grant is to support Maine companies to diversify and grow both within and outside of defense industry.
Eligible defense companies seeking to diversify may receive reimbursements through this program for costs of outside services associated with these activities. They may receive financial support for:
- Market Research and Diversification Assistance: Market Research and Diversification Assistance will support defense dependent companies in obtaining market research – both domestic and international – to plan and develop new business opportunities, as well as customized individual research or technical assistance to help qualified companies identify and evaluate new product and market opportunities. These research projects will help companies better understand their potential within a specific market or product line, as well as identify potential partners. This research could apply to domestic or global markets.
- Compliance and Certification Assistance: Compliance and Certification Assistance will provide training and individualized consultation services regarding international and domestic compliance issues (including ITAR and EAR for international markets), as well as help qualifying companies obtain certifications that are necessary for them to diversify into new markets (such as ISO 9000 or CE Mark).
- Trainings and Industry Events: Trainings and Industry Events will financially assist individual companies attending industry conferences and trainings (not organized by DIME/ MITC) that will enhance their knowledge and capabilities, as well as help them explore new market opportunities. This task is focused on education and networking and does not include reimbursement for trade show display costs.
GrantWatch ID#: 184942
Eligible businesses may receive reimbursements totaling up to $14,000 per year.
Trainings and Industry Events: The Funding Source will reimburse up to $1,000 per company, per event.
Funded activities must be completed before May 31, 2019. Funds may not be used to pay for activities or costs incurred prior to the approval of the activity.
To apply, companies or firms must meet the DIME definition of an eligible defense company and meet any other DOD or OEA guidelines for receiving federal grants. An “Eligible Defense Company” for this purpose is a company that:
1. Is organized or incorporated in the United States;
2. Is operating in Maine;
3. Meets at least one of the following requirements:
a. Has generated at least 10% of its business revenue from the U.S. Department of Defense supply chain (including prime contracts, subcontracts, or sales by suppliers into the defense supply chain) in at least one of the past five years; or
b. Is expected to generate at least 10% of its business revenue from the U.S. Department of Defense supply chain (including prime contracts, subcontracts, or sales by suppliers into the defense supply chain) in at least one of the next two years.
Airfare, lodging, meals, printing, search engine optimization, personnel costs, marketing or entertainment expenses, and the purchase of capital assets are not eligible for reimbursement under this program.
Applications must be received by May 1, 2019.
The typical processing time for applications is two weeks from date of submission to notification.
If applying for the first time, a company must complete and submit a Self-Certification as an “Eligible Defense Company” form. (See Supporting Documents below.)
Please submit separate applications for each project. Only one activity per application is permitted.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To submit the online application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OEA2018-2019Application
For questions and further information, please contact:
Tom Conley, Defense Industry Maine Director
Maine International Trade Center
2 Portland Fish Pier (Marine Trade Center), Suite 204
Portland, ME 04101