Grants of $1,500 to South Dakota public and tribal libraries for programs that improve literacy for young children in rural communities. Funding is intended to support expenses incurred for children's books, materials, children's spaces, and summer reading programs. The purpose of the program is to promote early childhood literacy in rural communities.
Others (see text field entitled "Additional Eligibility Criteria" for clarification)
Additional Eligibility Criteria
South Dakota public libraries that are state and federally recognized and in compliance with State statues with LSA population (Legal Service Area) of 5000 or fewer residents for city libraries and under 7500 (LSA) for county libraries. Any South Dakota tribal/public library on any South Dakota reservation regardless of size may apply. South Dakota public school libraries may partner with an eligible public library closest to them and apply jointly. An official 501c3 "Friends of the Library" may apply on behalf of a public library.
Not required, but preference will be given to:
- Libraries who have sought out or are currently seeking SD State Library voluntary accreditation; and
- Libraries that send local librarians or trustees to training programs such as Jump Start or participate in online webinars.
Funds cannot be spent on salaries or food.
- Open Registration: December 1, 2022
- Close Registration: February 1, 2023
- Grant Decisions communicated by: February 28, 2023
Applications should be submitted online through your sponsoring public library's annual report portal. (Sign in using your library's annual report account credentials. Select the Stephanie Miller-Davis Grant from the Collection menu.)
Number of Grants
25 grants awarded to 5000 or fewer residents; 5 grants awarded to 5000 or more residents
Estimated Size of Grant
- $1500; awarded to 5000 or fewer residents for city libraries and under 7500 (LSA) for county libraries.
- $1500; awarded to 5000 or more residents for city libraries and over 7500 (LSA) for county libraries.
Term of Contract
All awarded funds must be spent by August 31, 2023.