What is AFG-S?
COVID-19 Supplemental (AFG-S) is a supplemental funding opportunity under the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFG). AFG is one of three grant programs that constitute the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) focus on enhancing the safety of the public and firefighters with respect to fire and fire-related hazards.
The AFG-S Program accomplishes this by providing grants to eligible fire departments, nonaffiliated emergency medical service (NAEMS) organizations, and State Fire Training Academies (SFTA) for critical Personal Protective Equipment and supplies needed to prevent, prepare for and respond to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
Priority consideration will be provided for:
- Eye Protection – Appropriately
fitted,indirectly vented goggles or single-use disposable face shield that fully covers the front and sides of the face.
- Isolation Gowns Nonsterile, single-use fluid-resistant, and impermeable disposable patient isolation gown.
- Protective Coveralls – 360-degree protection of the entire body, including the back, lower legs, and feet.
- Gloves single-use, disposable patient examination gloves.
- Footwear Covers Single-use, disposable medical footwear covers.
- Respirators – Any NIOSH-approved particulate respirator (i.e., N-95 or higher-level respirator). Includes the purchase of filters appropriate for use.
- Surgical Type Face Masks – a loose-fitting, single-use disposable physical barrier between the mouth and nose of the wearer to allow fire and EMS personnel to meet CDC recommendations and/or state mandates for face covering when in a public setting other than direct patient contact.
Other eligible supplies
These supplies are considered a lower priority than items listed above. Examples include:
- Decontamination supplies and services for PPE, station-quarters, and vehicles.
- Replacement High-Efficiency Particulate Air filters and other types of disposable filtration supplies used on EMS respiratory and/or ventilator equipment.
- Personally-issued antiseptic hand washes, antiseptic hand rubs such as alcohol-based hand sanitizers, foams or gels, and reasonable refill supply
Additional details including application details are available on GrantWatch.com.