There are many grants available for women in the U.S., but the difficulty lies in knowing where to look. While a common misconception is that government grants have the most funding opportunities, the truth is foundations are the main contributors of funding for women. However, locating foundation grants can be difficult as many of these opportunities are not publicly listed.
Luckily, grant listing directories such as GrantWatch.com specialize in listing grants from foundation and corporation sources. Over 90% of the funding we’ve listed below to help support women in various industries is awarded by foundations.
10 Grants for Women in the U.S.
- 1) Female filmmakers may be eligible to receive up to $10,000 to support film projects. Aiming to provide critical support to advance projects, this grant is available for all stages from pre-production through launch.
- 2) Professional women journalists may be eligible to apply for up to $2,000 in grant funding. Furthermore, the funds can be used for career advancement as well as emergency support during the current coronavirus crisis.
- 3) Women who display outstanding leadership in the field of education are eligible for awards of $1,000. The purpose of this program is to honor female education professionals who make a difference in the lives of students.
- 4) Awards of $20,000 are now open to women with exceptional achievements in the area of human rights. Furthermore, this money will allow the recipient to continue her efforts in the human rights crusade.
- 5) Additional awards of $25,000 are now accepting applications for woman-owned small businesses. The funding is to recognize the outstanding achievements in business and the contributions to economic growth.
Women Grants Continued:
- 6) Women business owners can also apply for grants of up to $10,000. However, businesses must be in the hospitality, music, journalism, entertainment, sports or film industries. Also, they must demonstrate boundary-pushing efforts at creating a more equitable future.
- 7) Black women entrepreneurs may be eligible to receive grants of up to $10,000 as well as in-kind support. Furthermore, this funding is to support highly effective ideas and solutions, and break down barriers caused by racial inequality.
- 8) Opportunities are currently open for female veterans and female military spouses to attend a small business management and entrepreneurship program. While there is no monetary funding, this program is valued at $2,000 and aimed at teaching business-savvy skills needed to turn an idea or startup into a growing venture.
- 9) Single mothers financially affected due to COVID may be eligible to receive a $500 grant. The funding is to help provide assistance with health, stress, child care, illness and loneliness due to the coronavirus.
- 10) Low-income women diagnosed with breast cancer may to eligible to receive a $500 grant. While the funding is intended for medical treatment associated with breast cancer, it can be used for costs that prevent an individual from receiving the care needed.
More Grants are Available
While we’ve listed only a handful of grants currently available for women, you can discover more funding available that is allocated to your particular state and county. Additionally, funding sources release new grant opportunities on a regular basis, allowing women the possibility of applying for numerous grants throughout the year. For more information, you can also visit the GrantWatch FAQ page. We wish you the best of luck with your grant-seeking!