Foundation / Corporation
Grants ranging from $1,000 to $4,000 to USA nonprofits, local climbing and conservation organizations, government agencies, land trusts, and individuals for projects that enhance or preserve climbing access and strive to conserve the national climbing environment. Applicants who have not been previously funded will be given priority.
Projects must benefit a technical climbing area, such as rock, ice, and alpine routes where climbers commonly rope up or bouldering areas. Any proposal for facilities, trail work, or installation of signage on public lands requires land owner/manager permission and support.
Funded projects are those that:
- Are action-oriented
- Build local climber involvement and support
- Are strategic in its targeting and goals
- Accomplish specific goals and objectives that can be effectively measured
- Take place in the United States
- Encourage access or enhance opportunities for climbing
- Develop knowledge about natural and cultural resource values where the information is used to open climbing areas or mitigate climbing impacts
- Reduce climber impacts on natural and cultural resources within the climbing environment
- Raise awareness about climber responsibility toward conserving the climbing environment
- Are supported by the climbing community
- Utilize matching agency or local funds (ideally this will be at least 50%)
- Incorporate a degree of volunteer labor and/or pro bono services
- Research projects that increase scientific understanding of climbing impacts, climber behavior, and economic impacts, and further improve best practices for climbing management. All projects must have a clear plan for distributing and communicating the results.
GrantWatch ID#: 172915
Most grant requests range from $1,000 to $4,000. The Access Fund considers requests for over $10,000, but these projects should have national significance and utilize a high degree of matching funds.
Grant recipients will have up to six months but no later than the end of the calendar year to claim grant money (recipients will need to resubmit a grant application in the following year if the money is not claimed by December 31), and funding will only be released for projects that begin within 6 months of the grant being awarded.
Applications are accepted from local climbing organizations, government agencies, conservation organizations, land trusts, and individuals.
Tax exempt 501(c)(3) status is not a prerequisite.
Individuals are required to report grant money as income.
- Fixed anchors, bolts, bolt installation, etc.
- Outdoor programs (e.g. taking groups climbing, at-risk programs, youth groups)
- Climbing equipment
- Marketing or membership recruitment
- Facility construction (e.g. indoor climbing walls, artificial climbing facilities, ice parks) paid positions and travel stipends
- Political campaigns
Applications MUST be received at the Access Fund by the deadline date.
Winter Deadline: March 1
Summer Deadline: August 1
The Access Fund encourages applicants to call the Access Fund at the earliest stage to discuss their ideas with the Access Director or Operations Director to ensure that your proposal meets our grant award criteria before submission.
Projects should utilize matching agency or local funds (ideally this will be at least 50%).
Only one proposal from an organization will be considered per year.
Applications from organizations that have never received Access Fund funding will be given priority over applications from past grant recipients.
If requesting funds for a land acquisition or for grant requests over $10,000, please call the Access Fund before submitting an application for additional considerations.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Email applications to: email@example.com
If you do not receive a confirmation email within two business days of submitting your application, please resend your application and call the office at 303-545-6772 ext. 107.
P.O. Box 17010
Boulder, Colorado 80308
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming