Foundation / Corporation
Radio Starmaker Fund (RSF)
11/15/18 5:00 PM EST
Grants to Canada music artists, independent record labels, and artist managers for marketing and promotion activities. The purpose of this fund is to help emerging Canadian music artists launch their careers. Funding may support promising artists throughout Canada. The goal of this fund is to directly impact artists and support their marketing and touring initiatives in Canada and abroad.
The fund supports a variety of marketing and promotional initiatives related to eligible Canadian music recordings, including radio advertising, that are key to developing the star status of Canadian artists.
All domestic marketing initiatives must be related to spending in Canada only other than internet marketing/advertising which can originate anywhere. Additionally, The Radio Starmaker Fund will consider funding domestic and international live appearances in the following touring application sections:
-Domestic Touring: https://www.starmaker.ca/about/funding/domestictouring
-International Marketing: https://www.starmaker.ca/about/funding/internationalmarketing
-International Touring: https://www.starmaker.ca/about/funding/internationaltouring
GrantWatch ID#: 175217
Website design is capped at $25,000.
All approved funding must be spent no later than 8 months after each round’s application deadline.
Who Can Apply:
- Canadian artists/acts with a sales track record
- Canadian independent record labels
- Canadian artist management
To qualify for funding you must be a Canadian who has attained a track record in your existing career. This means you must meet the following criteria:
1. You are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.
2. You have attained a sales level on a CD in Canada only that satisfies the minimum “Track Record”1 requirement for your genre of music but has never sold more than 100,000 units (Major Labels) or 150,000 units (Indie Labels). You may establish this track record from the sales of any previous record released within 5 years of the deadline for the round in which you apply or from the sales of a current record.
3. In order to be eligible for funding, an artist must have begun production on the record for which they are applying prior to submitting their application. This does not refer to pre-production but the actual recording of bed tracks for the release.
4. For Domestic Marketing applications, you have a current record released which is receiving or will receive a “Significant Investment”. A “current record” means that it must have been released in the 12 months previous to the deadline for the round in which you apply or released within 6 months following the deadline for the round in which you apply. If you do not meet these requirements you will be asked to reapply and return any funding you have already received. Any funding you have been approved for will be reallocated back into the Fund and will no longer be available to you.
5. You are signed to a Canadian major label, Canadian owned independent record label or you own your record and you either release it on your own or license it to a Canadian company. All of the details regarding your recording contract must be in place by the application deadline in order for the Board of Directors to consider an application. Please Note: You do not qualify for funding if the royalties and revenues from the Canadian sales of your records flow directly to a corporation outside of Canada. You must receive your royalties from Canadian sales directly through a Canadian company.
6. Please note: If you own your master and distribute your record through a distributor (or major label) or release your record on your own, the Radio Starmaker Fund considers you to be an independent artist. If you own your master and license your record to a major label or you are signed directly to a major label, the Radio Starmaker Fund considers you to be a major label artist.
As the record label, it is anticipated that you will create the majority of a Domestic Marketing application. You are responsible and accountable to establish and document the “Significant Investment” (see below note 2) and the Funding Initiatives (see Funding Rules section). The domestic and international touring applications should be filled out by the artists and/or their managers. Please be advised that as a condition of this funding you will be required to sign an agreement allowing the Fund to enter your business premises and conduct full audits of your books and records during regular business hours to ensure the integrity of the funding and the accuracy of accounting. The Significant Investment is established by:
1. Non-recoupable marketing spends made in Canada (this must be fully detailed). Internet marketing/advertising can originate anywhere.
2. Any non-recoupable portion of music videos capped at an allowance of $35,000 per music video as a qualified contribution to “Significant Investment”. Please make sure to include the date the music video was shot and the fact the significant investment you enter is non-recoupable, should you choose to include music video as a Significant Investment. The maximum amount the Radio Starmaker Fund will acknowledge in Significant Investment for music videos in conjunction with a release will be a total of $100,000.
Footage shot for any use outside of a formal music video which will be sent to the music channels should be included in the Digital Marketing category on the investment side. As always, we will not fund any music videos. Formal music videos can continue to be included in the “Other” category as Significant Investment.
3. The minimum required investment is different for major labels and indie labels and varies based on genre (see Note 2 for levels in all genres)
4. No tour support or creative/production costs associated with your release shall qualify as “Significant Investment” (see the “Frequently Asked Questions” page for additional items that do not qualify as “Significant Investment”), although the Radio Starmaker Fund will consider the costs associated with the production of DVD value add-ons capped at $15,000 per project
More on eligibility: https://www.starmaker.ca/about/requirements
The application deadline for the current round of funding is 5:00 PM EST, Thursday, February 15, 2018. The ability to file an application will be automatically shut down at that time, therefore please ensure that your application has been completed and submitted before this deadline.
All applications must be submitted under the artist’s current release. The only situation where this wouldn’t apply is if the artist is re-visiting an older title for a special anniversary (like the 10th anniversary of a release) or if it’s a holiday release that is again being toured or marketed (like a Christmas release). Once a new Canadian title containing at least 5 songs and 20 minutes of music is 2 months away from release by the artist, then all applications must be done under the upcoming release.
Keep in mind that as long as there is no change in genre or type of release (independent vs. major), sales eligibility lasts for 5 years from the eligible title’s release date. As long as new recordings are within that 5 year window then there should be no issue with the upcoming title being eligible for funding consideration. If there is a change in genre or type of release for the upcoming title, then you must still have sales eligibility with the new release in order to be able to apply.
Upcoming Application Deadline Dates and Board Meeting Dates
Deadline Date: February 15, 2018
Board Meeting Date: March 21, 2018
Deadline Date: May 17, 2018
Board Meeting Date: June 20, 2018
Deadline Date: August 23, 2018
Board Meeting Date: September 26, 2018
Deadline Date: November 15, 2018
Board Meeting Date: December 12, 2018
About Funding: https://www.starmaker.ca/about/funding
Getting Started (Artists): https://www.starmaker.ca/about/getting-started-artist
Getting Started (Labels): https://www.starmaker.ca/about/getting-started-label
Fact Sheet: https://www.starmaker.ca/about/factsheet
Key Dates and Deadlines: https://www.starmaker.ca/about/deadlines
Click on the links in the Supporting Documents section below to download the PDF samples of marketing applications containing instructions detailing the domestic and international marketing application process for both Artists and Record Labels.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
New Artists/Managers may begin the application here:
New Record Labels may begin the application here:
Michelle Farres, Manager, Finance & Administration
(416) 597-6622, Ext. 21
Chip Sutherland, Executive Director
(416) 597-6622, Ext. 23
Jerry Leibowitz, Manager, Programs & Applications
(416) 597-6622, Ext. 22
Radio Starmaker Fund
372 Bay Street
Toll-Free: 1-888-256-2211 / (416) 597-6622
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon