Awards of $5,000 to Mississippi educators for outstanding contributions to the field of K-12 education. The awards are intended to acknowledge exceptional administrators and teachers. In addition to funds, award recipients will receive statewide recognition as well as professional opportunities, including a tuition waiver from William Carey University for an advanced education degree.
Mississippi Administrator of the Year (MAOY)
The Mississippi Administrator of the Year Program (MAOY) recognizes outstanding administrators who have succeeded in leading high-quality learning opportunities for students as well as demonstrating exemplary contributions to the profession. It is the vision of the MAOY program to elevate student success and strengthen the teaching profession by honoring, promoting excellence, and celebrating effective leaders who guide their school towards better teaching and learning.
The Mississippi Administrator of the Year candidate should have superior ability in:
- Shaping the vision of academic success and showing exceptional gains in student learning
- Motivating and cultivating leadership in teachers and all members of the school
- Implementing innovative programs
- Creating a positive school culture
- Possess leadership capabilities and,
- Active member of the community
The 2024-2025 Mississippi Administrator of the Year (MAOY) represents all the outstanding leaders and administrators in Mississippi. The MAOY serves as an ambassador for the teaching and leading profession, as well as a spokesperson for leaders and administrators.
Mississippi Teacher of the Year (MTOY)
The purpose of the Mississippi Teacher of the Year Program (MTOY) is to recognize the outstanding performance of teachers at the district, state, and national level. Effective classroom teachers are the backbone and heroes in creating a world class educational system that provides students the knowledge and skills to be successful. It is the vision of the MTOY program to elevate student success by honoring, celebrating, and promoting excellence to strengthen the teaching profession.
The Mississippi State Teacher of the Year candidate has the respect and admiration of their colleagues and:
- Is an expert in their field who advances growth for students of all backgrounds and abilities;
- Builds collaborative relationships with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of equity and success;
- Deliberately connects the classroom to community to impact student growth and learning;
- As a lifelong learner and teacher leader, they utilize innovation to create learning experiences within and beyond the classroom;
- Express themselves in an engaging and clear way, conveying the lived classroom experience to a variety of audiences.
The Mississippi Teacher of the Year will serve as an ambassador for the teaching profession by speaking/presenting his/her platform for the year served to civic and professional organizations, K-12 schools, colleges, and universities, conduct professional development, and assist with recruitment and retention of educators.
As the Mississippi State Teacher of the Year, the selected teacher will have the opportunity to apply for the National Teacher of the Year (NTOY).